Resolutions and Poincaré duality for finite groups
- D. J. Benson
- … show all 1 hide
This talk is a survey of some recent joint work with Jon Carlson on cohomology of finite groups. I shall describe how, for an arbitrary finite group G, one can produce an algebraic analogue of a free G-action on a product of spheres. If k is the field of coefficients, one can use this to build a resolution of k as a kG-module, which consists of a finite Poincaré duality piece and a polynomial piece. This resolution has the same rate of growth as the minimal resolution, but in general is not quite minimal. The deviation from minimality is measured by secondary operations in group cohomology expressible in terms of matric Massey products.
- D. J. Benson and J. F. Carlson. Diagrammatic methods for modular representations and cohomology. Comm. in Algebra 15 (1987), 53–121.
- D. J. Benson and J. F. Carlson. Complexity and multiple complexes. Math. Zeit. 195 (1987), 221–238. CrossRef
- D. J. Benson and J. F. Carlson. Projective resolutions and Poincaré duality complexes. Submitted to Trans. A.M.S.
- J. F. Carlson. Complexity and Krull dimension. Representations of Algebras, Puebla, Mexico 1980. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 903, 62–67, Springer-Verlag, Berlin/New York 1981.
- L. Evens. The cohomology ring of a finite group. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 101 (1961), 224–239. CrossRef
- L. Evens and S. Priddy. The cohomology of the semi-dihedral group. Conf. on Algebraic Topology in honour of Peter Hilton, ed. R. Piccinini and D. Sjerve, Contemp. Math. 37, A.M.S. 1985.
- H. Matsumura. Commutative ring theory. C.U.P., 1986.
- J. P. May. Matric Massey products. J. Algebra 12 (1969), 533–568. CrossRef
- D. Quillen. The spectrum of an equivariant cohomology ring, I. Ann. of Math. 94 (1971), 549–572. CrossRef
- D. Quillen. The spectrum of an equivariant cohomology ring, II. Ann. of Math. 94 (1971), 573–602. CrossRef
- J.-P. Serre. Algèbre locale—multiplicités. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 11, Springer-Verlag, Berlin/New York, 1965.
- Resolutions and Poincaré duality for finite groups
- Book Title
- Algebraic Topology Homotopy and Group Cohomology
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the 1990 Barcelona Conference on Algebraic Topology, held in S. Feliu de Guíxols, Spain, June 6–12, 1990
- pp 10-19
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Mathematics
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.