Virtual time synchronization in distributed database systems using a cluster of workstations
Virtual Time is the fundamental concept in optimistic synchronization schemes. In this paper, we investigate the efficiency of a distributed database management system. synchronized by virtual time using a LAN connected collection of SPARCS. To the best of our knowledge, there is little data reporting VT performance in DDBMS. The experimental results are compared with a multiversion timestamp ordering (MVTO) concurrency control method, a widely used technique in distributed databases, and approximately 25–30% reduction in the response time is observed when using the VT synchronization scheme. Our results demonstrate that the VT synchronization approach is a viable alternative concurrency control method for distributed database systems and outpforms MVTO one.
- P.A. Bernstein, V. Hadzilacos, and N. Goodman, Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems, Addison-Wesley, 1987.
- A. Boukerche, T. LeMaster, Sajal, K. Das, and A.K. Datta, “Virtual Time Synchronization in Distributed Systems”, Tech. Rep. TR-98, University of North Texas.
- A. Boukerche, C. Tropper, “Parallel Simulation on the Hypercube Multiprocessor”, Distributed Computing, Spring Verglas 1993.
- D. Jefferson and A. Motro, “The Time Warp Mechanism for Database Concurrency Control,” International Conference on Data Engineering, 1986, 474–481.
- D.R. Jefferson, “Virtual Time,” ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol. 7, No. 3, 1985, 404–425. CrossRef
- Virtual time synchronization in distributed database systems using a cluster of workstations
- Book Title
- Euro-Par’98 Parallel Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Euro-Par Conference Southampton, UK, September 1–4, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 534-538
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.