On the self-similar nature of workstations and WWW servers workload
This paper presents a workload characterization for workstations, servers and WWW servers. Twelve data sets built from standard UNIX tools and from access.log files are analyzed with three different time scales. We demonstrate that the workload of these resources is statistically self-similar in the periods of irregular activity.
- M. J. Litzkow, M. Livny, and M. W. Mutka. Condor: A hunter of idle workstations. In 8th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pages 104–111, Washington, D.C., USA, June 1988. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Amin M. Vahdat, Douglas P. Ghormley, and Thomas E. Anderson. Efficient, portable, and robust extension of operating system functionality. Technical Report CSD-94-842, University of California, Berkeley, December 1994.
- Martin Arlitt and Carey L. Williamson. Web server workload characterization: The search for invariants. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer SYstems, volume 24,1 of ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, pages 126–137, New York, May23–26 1996. ACM Press.
- Will E. Leland, Murad S. Taqqu, Walter Willinger, and Daniel V. Wilson. On the Self-Similar Nature of Ethernet Traffic (Extended Version). IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1994.
- Vern Paxson and Sally Floyd. Wide-area traffic: the failure of Poisson modeling. ACM SIGCOMM 94, pages 257–268, August 1994.
- Jan Beran. Statistic for Long-Memory Processes. Chapman and Hall, 1994.
- R.H. Riedi and J. Lvy Vhel. Multifractal properties of tcp traffic: a numerical study. Technical Report 3129, INRIA, 1997.
- Mark Crovella and Azer Bestavros. Self-similarity in World Wide Web traffic: Evidence and causes. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer SYstems, volume 24,1 of ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, pages 160–169, New York, May23–26 1996. ACM Press.
- K. Krishnan. A new class of performance results for a fractional brownian traffic model. Queueing System, 22:277–285, 1996. CrossRef
- B. B. Mandelbrot and J. W. Van Ness. Fractional brownian motion, fractional noises and applications. SIAM Review, 10(4):422–437, October 1968. CrossRef
- J. Granger and R. Joyeux. An introduction to long-memory time series models and fractional differencing. Time Series Analysis, 1, 1980.
- On the self-similar nature of workstations and WWW servers workload
- Book Title
- Euro-Par’98 Parallel Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Euro-Par Conference Southampton, UK, September 1–4, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 216-219
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.