Building complex systems using developmental process: An engineering approach
- Hiroaki Kitano
- … show all 1 hide
One of the central challenges of evolutionary computing and artificial life research is to establish a methodology for building very large complex system which has functional structures. Although it is increasingly recognized that the use of developmental process is the promising approach, none of existing method can create complex structures involving large scale repetitive subunits which characterize functional biological and artificial systems, such as brain, animal body, memory chips. In this paper, we present a powerful method of developing very complex structures based on a grammar-based approach. The introduction of novel meta-node and associated operations is the essential feature of the method. We demonstrate the strength of the method by actually developing the network topologies identical to human receptive fields of skin for touch stimuli and cerebeller cortex.
- Gruau, F., and Whitley, D., ”Adding Learning to the Cellular Development of NEural Networks: Evolution and the Baldwin Effect,” Evolutionary Computation, 1(3): 213–233, 1993.
- Kandel, E., Schwartz, J. and Jessell, T., Principles of Neural Science: Third Edition, Appleton & Lange, Norwalk, 1991.
- Kitano, H., “A Simple Model of Neurogenesis and Cell Differentiation Based on Evolutionary Large-Scale Chaos”, Artificial Life, 2: 79–99, 1995. CrossRef
- Kitano, H., “Evolution of Metabolism for Morphogenesis,” Proc. of Alife-IV, 1994.
- Kitano, H., “Neurogenetic Learning: An Intergrated Model of Designing and Training Neural Networks using Genetic Algorithms,” Physica D, Aug. 1, 1994.
- Kitano, H., “Designing Neural Network using Genetic Algorithms with Graph Generation System”, Complex System, Vol. 4–4, 1990.
- Koza, J., Genetic Programming, The MIT Press, 1993
- Lindenmayer, A., “Mathematical Models for Cellular Interactions in Development,” J. theor. Biol., 18, 280–299, 1968. CrossRef
- Lindenmayer, A., “Developmental Systems without Cellular interactions, their Languages and Grammars,” J. theor. Biol., 30, 455–484, 1971. CrossRef
- Sims, K., “Evolving 3D Morphology and Behavior by Competition,” Proc. of Artificial Life IV, Cambridge, MIT Press, 1994.
- Building complex systems using developmental process: An engineering approach
- Book Title
- Evolvable Systems: From Biology to Hardware
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Conference, ICES 98 Lausanne, Switzerland, September 23–25, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 218-229
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.