Portable randomized list ranking on multiprocessors using MPI
- Jesper Larsson Träff
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe a simple multiprocessor list ranking algorithm with low communication volume and simple communication pattern. With p processors the algorithm performs < 4p (pipelined) communication rounds involving only point-to-point communication. For lists with N elements the algorithm runs in O(N ln p/p+p) time. Experiments with an implementation using MPI on a network of workstations and an IBM SP-2 comparing the algorithm to the well-known pointer jumping algorithm are reported. On the NOW the new algorithm is significantly better than pointer jumping. On the IBM SP-2 only the new algorithm was able to produce (modest) speed-up.
- F. Dehne and S. W. Song. Randomized parallel list ranking for distributed memory multiprocessors. International Journal of Parallel Programming, 25(1):1–16, 1997.
- A. Geist, A. Beguein, J. Dongarra, W. Jiang, R. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine — A User's Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, 1994.
- T.-S. Hsu and V. Ramachandran. Efficient massively parallel implementation of some combinatorial algorithms. Theoretical Computer Science, 162(2):297–322, 1996. CrossRef
- J. JáJá. An Introduction to Parallel Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, 1992.
- W. F. McColl. Scalable computing. In Computer Science Today. Recent Trends and Developments, volume 1000 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 46–61, 1995. CrossRef
- J. N. Patel, A. A. Khokhar, and L. H. Jamieson. Scalable parallel implementations of list ranking on fine-grained machines. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 8(10):1006–1018, 1997. CrossRef
- M. Reid-Miller. List ranking and list scan on the cray C-90. In Proceedings of the 6th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA), pages 104–113, 1994.
- J. F. Sibeyn. From parallel to external list ranking. Technical Report MPI-I-91-1-021, Max-Planck Institut für Informatik, 1997.
- J. F. Sibeyn, F. Guillaume, and T. Seidel. Practical parallel list ranking. In Solving Irregularly Structured Problems in Parallel (IRREGULAR'97), volume 1253 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 25–36, 1997.
- M. Snir, S. W. Otto, S. Huss-Lederman, D. W. Walker, and J. Dongarra. MPI: The Complete Reference. MIT Press, 1996.
- J. L. Träff. Parallel list ranking and other operations on lists. Technical Report SFB 124-D6 3/97, Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany, Sonderforschungsbereich 124, VLSI Entwurfsmethoden und Parallelität, 1997. 69 Pages.
- L. G. Valiant. A bridging model for parallel computation. Communications of the ACM, 33(8):103–111, 1990. CrossRef
- J. C. Wyllie. The Complexity of Parallel Computation. PhD thesis, Computer Science Department. Cornell University, 1979. Technical Report TR-79-387.
- Portable randomized list ranking on multiprocessors using MPI
- Book Title
- Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface
- Book Subtitle
- 5th European PVM/MPI Users' Group Meeting Liverpool, UK, September 7–9, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 395-402
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.