Modelling the yield of number field sieve polynomials
- Brian Murphy
- … show all 1 hide
Understanding the yield of number field sieve polynomials is crucial to improving the performance of the algorithm, and to assessing its potential impact on the practical security of cryptosystems relying on integer factorisation. In this paper we examine the yield of these polynomials, concentrating on those produced by Montgomery's selection algorithm. Given such a polynomial f, we consider the influence of two factors; the size of values taken by f and the effect of the knowing the primes p for which f has roots mod p. Experiments show the influence of the first property, particularly whilst sieving close to real roots. Estimates of the effect of the second property show that it may effect yield by as much as a factor of two. We present sieving experiments demonstrating the effect to that extent. Finally, we suggest a preliminary model to approximate the behaviour of these polynomials across the sieving region.
- Bach, E, Peralta, R (1996) Asymptotic Semismoothness Probabilities. Math. Comp. 65: pp. 1717-1735 CrossRef
- H Boender, “Factoring Integers with the Quadratic Sieve”, PhD Thesis, University of Leiden, 1997.
- Buhler, J. P., Lenstra, H. W., Pomerance, C (1993) Factoring Integers with the Number Field Sieve. The Development of the Number Field Sieve, LNM 1554: pp. 50-94
- Dickman, K (1930) On the Frequency of Numbers Containing Prime Factors of a Certain Relative Magnitude. Ark. Mat. Astronomi och Fysik 22A: pp. 1-14
- Elkenbracht-Huizing, M (1996) An Implementation of the Number Field Sieve. Experimental Mathematics 5: pp. 375-389
- Elkenbracht-Huizing, M (1996) A Multiple Polynomial General Number Field Sieve. Algorithmic Number Theory, LNCS 1122: pp. 99-114
- Golliver, R. A., Lenstra, A. K., McCurley, K. S. (1994) Lattice Sieving and Trial Division. Algorithmic Number Theory, LNCS 877: pp. 18-27
- Knuth, D. E., Pardo, L. T. (1976) Analysis of a Simple Factorization Algorithm. Theor. Comp. Sci. 3: pp. 321-348 CrossRef
- R Lambert, “Computational Aspects of Discrete Logarithms”, PhD Thesis, Univeristy of Waterloo, 1996.
- Murphy, B, Brent, R. P. (1998) On Quadratic Polynomials for the Number Field Sieve. Computing Theory 98, ACSC 20: pp. 199-215
- Modelling the yield of number field sieve polynomials
- Book Title
- Algorithmic Number Theory
- Book Subtitle
- Third International Symposiun, ANTS-III Portland, Oregon, USA, June 21–25, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 137-150
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.