Code motion and code placement: Just synonyms?
- Jens KnoopAffiliated withUniversität Passau
- , Oliver RüthingAffiliated withUniversität Dortmund
- , Bernhard SteffenAffiliated withUniversität Dortmund
We prove that there is no difference between code motion (CM) and code placement (CP) in the traditional syntactic setting, however, a dramatic difference in the semantic setting. We demonstrate this by re-investigating semantic CM under the perspective of the recent development of syntactic CM. Besides clarifying and highlighting the analogies and essential differences between the syntactic and the semantic approach, this leads as a side-effect to a drastical reduction of the conceptual complexity of the value-flow based procedure for semantic CM of , as the original bidirectional analysis is decomposed into purely unidirectional components. On the theoretical side, this establishes a natural semantical understanding in terms of the Herbrand interpretation (transparent equivalence), and thus eases the proof of correctness; moreover, it shows the frontier of semantic CM, and gives reason for the lack of algorithms going beyond. On the practical side, it simplifies the implementation and increases the efficiency, which, like for its syntactic counterpart, can be the catalyst for its migration from academia into industrial practice.
KeywordsProgram optimization data-flow analysis code motion code placement partial redundancy elimination transparent equivalence Her-brand interpretation
- Code motion and code placement: Just synonyms?
- Book Title
- Programming Languages and Systems
- Book Subtitle
- 7th European Symposium on Programming, ESOP'98 Held as Part of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS'98 Lisbon, Portugal, March 28 – April 4, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 154-169
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Program optimization
- data-flow analysis
- code motion
- code placement
- partial redundancy elimination
- transparent equivalence
- Her-brand interpretation
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.