Designing a B model for safety-critical software systems
The observations described in this paper are based on the experience we gained in applying the B method to a realistic safetycritical case study. The main goal was to integrate the B method into the heart of the development cycle, particularly for such applications. We outline a framework to reason about control process systems in order to capture functional and safety-related properties and to organize the conceptual architecture of these systems.
Thus, we describe how a B Model can be designed both with respect to safety constraints and in terms of software architecture abstractions. We use the B method to support architectural abstractions, codifying the interactions of components. Finally, we present essential results of the case study and we show the significant impact of such a B formal development on the development process by giving some metrics.
- Abrial, J.R. Extending B without changing it. In Henri Habrias, editor, First Conference on the B method, Nantes, 1996.
- Abrial, J.R. and Mussat, L. Specification and design of a transmission protocol by successive refinements using B. In Marktoberdorff Summer School, LNCS, to appear 1997.
- Bert, D., Potet, M.L. and Rouzaud, Y. A study on Components and Assembly Primitives in B. In Henri Habrias, editor, First Conference on the B method, Nantes, 1996.
- Coplien, J. O. Pattern Languages of Program Design. Addison Wesley, 1995.
- H. Habrias. Dictionnaire encyclopédique du génie logiciel. Masson, 1997.
- Levenson, N. G. Safeware — System Safety and Computers. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1995.
- Saeed, A., Anderson, T. and Koutny, M. A formal model for safety-critical computing systems. SAFECOMP'90, 1990.
- M. Shaw. Beyond objects: A software design paradigm based on process control. ACM Software Engineering Notes, 20(1), January 1995.
- Shaw, M. and Clements, P. A field guide to boxology: Preliminary classification of architectural styles for software systems. Site Web de Mary Shaw, Avril 1996.
- Shaw, M. and Garlan, D. Software Architecture, Perspectives on an Emerging Discipline. Prentice-Hall, 1996.
- Taouil-Traverson, S. and Vignes, S. A preliminary analysis cycle for B development. In Beyond 2000: Hardware and Software Design Strategies, pages 319–325. EUROMICRO 96, Prague, Czech Republic, Septembre 2–5 1996.
- Taouil-Traverson, S. Stratégie d'intégration de la méthode B dans la construction du logiciel critique. PhD thesis, ENST, July 1997.
- Taouil-Traverson, S., Ozello, P. and Vignes, S. Développement formel de logiciel de sécurité dans le domaine ferroviaire: utilisation de la méthode B à la SNCF. TSI, to appear in december 1997.
- Designing a B model for safety-critical software systems
- Book Title
- B’98: Recent Advances in the Development and Use of the B Method
- Book Subtitle
- Second International B Conference Montpellier, France, April 22–24, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 210-225
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.