The GRED graphical editor for the GRADE parallel program development environment
In this paper, we describe a graphical editor GRED as part of the integrated programming environment GRADE that is intended to support designing, debugging and performance tuning of message-passing programs running on a heterogeneous network of computers. The GRED editor hides the cumbersome details of the underlying low-level message-passing system (which is currently the PVM system) by providing visual abstractions but allows the programmer to define local computations of the individual processes in C (or in Fortran in the future) independently from the visually supported process management and inter-process communication activities.
Visual representation of the critical (i.e. message-passing related) parts of the code can help the user in grasping the complex structure and run-time behavior of the whole parallel application, even if he or she is not an expert in the field of concurrent programming.
- R. S. al. Simulation in parallel software design. In Proc. of Euro-PDS'97, Barcelona, pages 51–59, 1997.
- O. Babaoglu, L. Alvisi, A. Amoroso, and R. Davoli. Paralex: An environment for parallel programming in distributed systems. In Proc. of ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, 1992.
- A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, G. Geist, and V. Sunderam. Visualization and debugging in a heterogeneous environment. IEEE Computer, 26(6), June 1993.
- J. Cotronis. Message passing program development by ensemble. In Proc. of PVM-MPI'97, Krakow, Poland, 1997.
- J. C. Cunha, J. Lourenco, and T. Antao. A debugging engine for parallel and distributed environment. In Proc. of 1st Austrian-Hungarian Workshop on Distributed and Parallel Systems, Miskolc, Hungary, October 2–4, pages 111–118, 1996.
- Delaitre, T., Ribeiro-Justo, G., Spies, F., Winter, S. (1997) A graphical toolset for simulation modelling of parallel systems. Parallel Computing 22: pp. 1823-1836
- D. Drótos and P. Kacsuk. Inner secrets of grapnel code generation. In Proc. of the 3rd SEIHPC Workshop, Madrid, Spain, 1998.
- Geist, A., Beguelin, A., Dongarra, J., Jiang, W., Manchek, R., Sunderam, V. S. (1994) Parallel Virtual Machine-A Users' Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, London
- Gropp, W., Lusk, E., Skjellum, A. (1994) Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message-Passing Interface. MIT Press, London
- Kacsuk, P., Dózsa, G., Fadgyas, T. (1996) Designing parallel programs by the graphical language grapnel. Microprocessing and Microprogramming 41: pp. 625-643
- T. Kalinowski and R. Gajda. Task scheduling using parallel genetic algorithm implemented with GRADE. In Proc. of the 3rd SEIHPC Workshop, Madrid, Spain, 1998.
- Ludwig, T., Wismuller, R., Oberhuber, M., Bode, A. (1997) An open interface for the on-line monitoring of parallel and distributed programs. Intl. Journal of Supercomputer Applications and High Performance Computing 11: pp. 160-174
- E. Luque, R. Suppi, and J. Sorribes. Overview and new trend on psee (parallel system evaluation. IEEE Software, 1992.
- P. Newton and J. Dongarra. Overview of vpe: A visual environment for message-passing. http://www.cs.utk.edu/newton/vpe/hcw95.ps, 1995.
- C. Scheidler and L. Schafers. Trapper: A graphical programming environment for industrial high-performance applications. In Proc. of PARLE'93: Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe, Munich, Germany, 1993.
- The GRED graphical editor for the GRADE parallel program development environment
- Book Title
- High-Performance Computing and Networking
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference and Exhibition Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 21–23, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 728-737
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.