Orthogonal higher-order rewrite systems are confluent
- Tobias Nipkow
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The results about higher-order critical pairs and the confluence of OHRSs provide a firm foundation for the further study of higher-order rewrite systems. It should now be interesting to lift more results and techniques both from term-rewriting and λ-calculus to the level of HRSs. For example termination proof techniques are much studied for TRSs and are urgently needed for HRSs; similarly the extension of our result to weakly orthogonal HRSs or even to Huet's “parallel closed” systems is highly desirable. Conversely, a large body of λ-calculus reduction theory has been lifted to CRSs  already and should be easy to carry over to HRSs.
Finally there is the need to extend the notion of an HRS to more general left-hand sides. For example the eta-rule for the case-construct on disjoint unions  case(U,λx.F(inl(x)),λy.G(inr(y))) → F(U) is outside our framework, whichever way it is oriented.
- P. Aczel. A general Church-Rosser theorem. Technical report, University of Manchester, 1978.
- H. P. Barendregt. The Lambda Calculus, its Syntax and Semantics. North Holland, 2nd edition, 1984.
- V. Breazu-Tannen. Combining algebra and higher-order types. In Proc. 3rd IEEE Symp. Logic in Computer Science, pages 82–90, 1988.
- N. Dershowitz and J.-P. Jouannaud. Rewrite systems. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Formal Models and Semantics, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. B, pages 243–320. Elsevier — The MIT Press, 1990.
- D. J. Dougherty. Adding algebraic rewriting to the untyped lambda-calculus. In R. V. Book, editor, Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Rewriting Techniques and Applications, pages 37–48. LNCS 488, 1991.
- A. Felty. A logic-programming approach to implementing higher-order term rewriting. In L.-H. Eriksson, L. Hallnäs, and P. Schroeder-Heister, editors, Extensions of Logic Programming, Proc. 2nd Int. Workshop, pages 135–158. LNCS 596, 1992.
- J. Gallier. Constructive Logics. Part I. Technical Report 8, DEC Paris Research Laboratory, 1991.
- J. Hindley and J. P. Seldin. Introduction to Combinators and λ-Calculus. Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- G. Huet. Confluent reductions: Abstract properties and applications to term rewritingsystems. J. ACM, 27:797–821, 1980.
- J. W. Klop. Combinatory Reduction Systems. Mathematical Centre Tracts 127. Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam, 1980.
- J. W. Klop. Term rewriting systems. Technical Report CS-R9073, CWI, Amsterdam, 1990.
- D. Miller. A logic programming language with lambda-abstraction, function variables, and simple unification. In P. Schroeder-Heister, editor, Extensions of Logic Programming, pages 253–281. LNCS 475, 1991.
- F. Müller. Confluence of the lambdacalculus with left-linear algebraic rewriting. Information Processing Letters, 41:293–299, 1992.
- G. Nadathur and D. Miller. An overview of λProlog. In R. A. Kowalski and K. A. Bowen, editors, Proc. 5th Int. Logic Programming Conference, pages 810–827. MIT Press, 1988.
- T. Nipkow. Higher-order critical pairs. In Proc. 6th IEEE Symp. Logic in Computer Science, pages 342–349, 1991.
- T. Nipkow. Functional unification of higher-order patterns. Technical report, TU München, Institut für Informatik, 1992.
- L. C. Paulson. Isabelle: The next 700 theorem provers. In P. Odifreddi, editor, Logic and Computer Science, pages 361–385. Academic Press, 1990.
- S. Stenlund. Combinators, λ-Terms, and Proof Theory. D. Reidel, 1972.
- F. van Raamsdonk. A simple proof of confluence for weakly orthogonal combinatory reduction systems. Technical Report CS-R9234, CWI, Amsterdam, 1992.
- Orthogonal higher-order rewrite systems are confluent
- Book Title
- Typed Lambda Calculi and Applications
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference on Typed Lambda Calculi and Applications TLCA '93 March, 16–18, 1993, Utrech, The Netherlands Proceedings
- pp 306-317
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.