On the significance of the directed acyclic word graph in cryptology
Blumer's algorithm can be used to build a Directed Acyclic Word Graph (DAWG) in linear time and memory from a given sequence of characters. In this paper we introduce the DAWG and show that Blumer's algorithm can be used very effectively to determine the maximum order (or nonlinear) complexity profile of a given sequence. We also show that this algorithm can be used to determine the period of a periodic sequence in linear time and memory. It also appears that the DAWG is an even more efficient means of generating the sequence, given a number of characters, than e.g. the nonlinear feedback shift register equivalent of that sequence, as it always needs the least amount of characters to generate the remainder of the sequence.
- A. Blumer, J. Blumer, A. Ehrenfeucht, D. Haussler and R. McConnell. “Linear Size Finite Automata for the Set of all Subwords of a Word: An Outline of Results”, Bul. Eur. Assoc. Theor. Comp. Sci., no. 21, pp. 12–20, 1983.
- A. Blumer. “A Generalization of Run-Length Coding”, IEEE Intern. Symp. on Info. Theory 1985, Brighton, England, June 24–28, 1985.
- N. G. de Bruijn. “A Combinatorial Problem”, Nederl. Akad. Wetensch. Proc., vol. 49, pp. 758–754, 1946.
- C. J. A. Jansen. Investigations On Nonlinear Streamcipher Systems: Construction and Evaluation Methods, PhD. Thesis, Technical University of Delft, Delft, april 1989.
- R. A. Rueppel. New Approaches to Stream Ciphers, PhD. Thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, 1984.
- On the significance of the directed acyclic word graph in cryptology
- Book Title
- Advances in Cryptology — AUSCRYPT '90
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference on Cryptology Sydney, Australia, January 8–11, 1990 Proceedings
- pp 318-326
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.