Partitioning a graph with a parallel genetic algorithm
We present a parallel genetic algorithm for the k way graph partitioning problem. The algorithm uses selection in local neighborhood and sophisticated genetic operators. For a sample problem the algorithm has found better solutions than those found by recent GPP algorithms. The success of the parallel genetic algorithm depends on the representation, a suitable crossover operator and an efficient local hill climbing method which is used to restrict the solution space.
- G.C. Everstine. A comparison of three resequencing algorithms for the reduction of matrix profile and wavefront. Int. J. Numer. Methods in Eng., Vol. 14, 837–853, 1979. CrossRef
- M. Gorges-Schleuter. ASPARAGOS: An Asynchronous Parallel Genetic Optimization Strategy. In 3rd Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms, San Mateo, Morgan Kaufmann, 89.
- J. R. Gilbert and E. Zmijewski. A Parallel Graph Partitioning Algorithm for a Message-Passing Multiprocessor. Techn. Report 87-803, Cornell University, 87.
- J. H. Holland. Adaptation in natural and artificial systems. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 75.
- B. W. Kernighan and S. Lin. An Efficient Heuristic Procedure for Partitioning Graphs. Technical report, Bell Syst. Techn. J., February 70.
- G. von Laszewski. Ein paralleler genetischer Algorithmus für das GPP. Master's thesis, Universität Bonn, 90.
- G. von Laszewski. A parallel genetic algorithm for the graph partitioning problem. In Transputer Research and Aplications 4, Proc. of the 4th Conf. of the North-American Transputers Users Group, IOS Press, Ithaca, NY, 90.
- D. Moore. A Round-Robin Parallel Partitioning Algorithm. Technical Report 88-916, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1988.
- H. Mühlenbein. Parallel Genetic Algorithm, Population Dynamics and Combinatorial Optimization. In 3rd Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms, San Mateo, Morgan Kaufmann, 89.
- Partitioning a graph with a parallel genetic algorithm
- Book Title
- Parallel Problem Solving from Nature
- Book Subtitle
- 1st Workshop, PPSN I Dortmund, FRG, October 1–3, 1990 Proceedings
- pp 165-169
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.