Using partial orders to improve automatic verification methods
- Patrice Godefroid
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, we present a verification method for concurrent finite-state systems that attempts to avoid the part of the combinatorial explosion due to the modeling of concurrency by interleavings. The behavior of a system is described in terms of partial orders (more precisely in terms of Mazurkiewicz's traces) rather than in terms of interleavings. We introduce the notion of “trace automation” which generates only one linearization per partial order. Then we show how to use trace automata to prove program correctness.
- H. Gaifman. Modeling concurrency by partial orders and nonlinear transition systems. In Linear Time, Branching Time and Partial Order in Logics and Models for Concurrency, LNCS 354, pages 467–488, 1988.
- P. Godefroid. Les modèles ordre partiel du parallélisme (partial order models for concurrency). Undergraduate thesis, Service d'Informatique, Université de Liège, June 1989.
- R. Janicki and M. Koutny. On some implementation of optimal simulations. To appear in Proc. Computer-Aided Verification Workshop, Rutgers, 1990.
- Y. Kornatzky and S. S. Pinter. A model checker for partial order temporal logic. EE PUB 597, Department of Electrical Enginering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 1986.
- S. Katz and D. Peled. An efficient verification method for parallel and distributed programs. In Linear Time, Branching Time and Partial Order in Logics and Models for Concurrency, LNCS 354, pages 489–507, 1988.
- L. Lamport. Time, clocks, and the ordering of events in a distributed system. Communications of the ACM, 21(7):558–564, 1978.
- A. Mazurkiewicz. Trace theory. In Petri Nets: Applications and Relationships to Other Models of Concurrency, Advances in Petri Nets 1986, Part II; Proceedings of an Advanced Course, LNCS 255, pages 279–324, 1986.
- A. Mazurkiewicz. Basic notions of trace theory. In Linear Time, Branching Time and Partial Order in Logics and Models for Concurrency, LNCS 354, pages 285–363, 1988.
- W. Penczek. Proving partial order properties using CCTL. Submitted to Proc. Concurrency and Compositionality Workshop, San Miniato, Italy, 1990.
- D. K. Probst and H. F. Li. Abstract specification, composition and proof of correctness of delay-insensitive circuits and systems. Department of Computer Science, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec Canada, 1989.
- V. Pratt. Modelling concurrency with partial orders. International Journal of Parallel Programming, 15(1):33–71, 1986.
- D. Peled and A. Pnueli. Proving Partial Order Liveness Properties. ICALP, 1990.
- S. S. Pinter and P. Wolper. A temporal logic for reasoning about partially ordered computations. In Proc. 3rd ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pages 28–37. Vancouver, 1984.
- W. Reisig. Petri nets: an introduction. EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1985.
- G. Rozenberg. Behaviour of elementary net systems. In Petri Nets: Applications and Relationships to Other Models of Concurrency, Advances in Petri Nets 1986, Part II; Proceedings of an Advanced Course, LNCS 254, pages 60–94, 1986.
- A. Valmari. Error detection by reduced reachability graph detection. In Proc. 9th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets, pages 95–112, Venice, 1988.
- A. Valmari. Stubborn sets for reduced state space generation. In Proc. 10th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets, vol. 2, pages 1–22, Bonn, 1989.
- G. Winskel. Event structures. In Petri Nets: Applications and Relationships to Other Models of Concurrency, Advances in Petri Nets 1986, Part II; Proceedings of an Advanced Course, LNCS 255, pages 325–392, 1986.
- P. Wolper. On the relation of programs and computations to models of temporal logic. In B. Banieqbal, H. Barringer, and A. Pnueli, editors, Proc. Temporal Logic in Specification, LNCS 398, pages 75–123, 1989.
- W. Zielonka. Proving assertions about parallel programs by means of traces. ICS PAS Report 424, Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences, 1980.
- Using partial orders to improve automatic verification methods
- Book Title
- Computer-Aided Verification
- Book Subtitle
- 2nd International Conference, CAV '90 New Brunswick, NJ, USA, June 18–21, 1990 Proceedings
- pp 176-185
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.