Semi-dynamic shortest paths and breadth-first search in digraphs
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We show how to maintain a shortest path tree of a general directed graph G with unit edge weights and n vertices, during a sequence of edge deletions or a sequence of edge insertions, in O(n) amortized time per operation using linear space. Distance queries can be answered in constant time, while shortest path queries can be answered in time linear in the length of the retrieved path. These results are extended to the case of integer edge weights in [1,C], with a bound of O(Cn) amortized time per operation.
We also show how to maintain a breadth-first search tree of a directed graph G in an incremental or a decremental setting in O(n) amortized time per operation using linear space.
- G. Ausiello, G. F. Italiano, A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, and U. Nanni. Incremental algorithms for minimal length paths. Journal of Algorithms, 12(4):615–638, 1991. CrossRef
- S. Chaudhuri and C. D. Zaroliagis. Shortest path queries in digraphs of small treewidth. In Proc. of 22nd Int. Colloq. on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP '95), volume 944 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 244–255. Springer-Verlag, 1995.
- E. W. Dijkstra. A note on two problems in connexion with graphs. Numerische Mathematik, 1:269–271, 1959. CrossRef
- S. Even and H. Gazit. Updating distances in dynamic graphs. Methods of Operations Research, 49:371–387, 1985.
- S. Even and Y. Shiloach. An on-line edge deletion problem. Journal of ACM, 28:1–4, 1981. CrossRef
- E. Feuerstein and A. Marchetti-Spaccamela. On-line algorithms for shortest paths in planar graphs. Theoretical Computer Science, 116:359–371, 1993. CrossRef
- P. G. Franciosa, G. Gambosi, and U. Nanni. On the structure of DFS-Forests on directed graphs and the dynamic maintenance of DFS on DAG's. In Proc. of 2nd European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA '94), volume 855 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 343–353. Springer-Verlag, 1994.
- D. Frigioni, A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, and U. Nanni. Fully dynamic output bounded single source shortest path problem. In Proc. of 7th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA '96), pages 212–221, Atlanta, Georgia, 1996.
- F. Harary. Graph Theory. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969.
- P. N. Klein, S. Rao, M. H. Rauch, and S. Subramanian. Faster shortest-path algorithms for planar graphs. In Proc. of 23rd ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC '94), pages 27–37. Assoc. for Computing Machinery, 1994.
- P. N. Klein and S. Subramanian. A fully dynamic approximation scheme for all-pairs shortest paths in planar graphs. In Proc. of 3rd Workshop on Algorithms and Data Structures (WADS '93), volume 709 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 442–451. Springer-Verlag, 1993.
- J. van Leeuwen. Graph algorithms. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Algorithms and Complexity, volume A of Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, pages 527–631. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990.
- U. Manber. Recognizing breadth-first search trees in linear time. Information Processing Letters, 34:167–171, 1990. CrossRef
- H. Rohnert. A dynamization of the all-pairs least cost problem. In Proc. of 2nd Sympos. on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS '85), volume 182 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 279–286. Springer Verlag, 1985.
- R. E. Tarjan. Amortized computational complexity. SIAM Journal on Algebraic Discrete Methods, 6(2):306–318, 1985.
- Semi-dynamic shortest paths and breadth-first search in digraphs
- Book Title
- STACS 97
- Book Subtitle
- 14th Annual Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science Lübeck, Germany February 27–March 1, 1997 Proceedings
- pp 33-46
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Università di Roma “La Sapienza”, via Salaria 113, I-00198, Roma, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Matematica Pura ed Applicata, Università di L'Aquila, via Vetoio, I-67010, Coppito, AQ, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.