Multimedia client implementation on Personal Digital Assistants
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Their small size and ease of use makes Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) very attractive for inclusion as clients in mobile multimedia applications. Alas, the cost for integration of PDA in distributed multimedia systems is high, as the resource limitations on PDA require client adaptation, and as software development on PDA is comparatively expensive. We present PocketWeb, a tool facilitating PDA integration in multimedia applications based on the web protocols while freeing application developers from PDA specific software development. We have applied PocketWeb for integration of PDA as multimedia clients in MILLION, a distributed multimedia system developed in an ESPRIT project.
- Brian Grimm, Education Research Laboratories Inc., The Williams Pocket Clinical Consultant, Resident's Medical Reference Library, Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PDA for Field Engineers in Railway, Information Systems Group, Railway Technical Research Institute, 2-8-38, Hikari-cho, Kokubunji-shi, Tokyo 185, Japan.
- FieldWorker, Cindy Park, 551 Millwood, Toronto, Canada, http://www.fieldworker.com/
- Newton Developer Kit, Newton Script Programming Environment, Apple Computer Inc., http://www.newton.apple.com/
- Psion EPOC/16, SIBO hardware and software architecture, Organiser Programming Language, http://www.psion.com/developerreference/develbackindex.html
- U.S. Robotics Palm OS Software Development Kits, http://www.usr.com/palm/5034.html
- Multimedia Interactive Leading Life-giving Initiative On Net, Esprit Project MILLION, Omega Generation, http://www.omega.it/million/
- Gessler, S., Kotulla, A., PDAs as mobile WWW browsers. Proc. of 2nd International WWW Conference, Chicago, Oct. 1994.
- Multimedia client implementation on Personal Digital Assistants
- Book Title
- Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems and Telecommunication Services
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Workshop, IDMS '97 Darmstadt, Germany, September 10–12, 1997 Proceedings
- pp 283-295
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Multimedia Client
- Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)
- Mobile Computing
- Mobile Multimedia Applications
- Multimedia Software Development
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.