Laboratory Shear Strength Tests and the Stability of Rockfill Slopes
- J. A. Charles
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The laboratory measurement of the shear strength of recompacted samples of rockfill is reviewed with emphasis on the influence of stress level on shear strength and its significance for the stability of rockfill slopes. Much of the chapter deals with laboratory and analytical work carried out at the Building Research Establishment (BRE).
- Al-Hussaini M (1983). Effect of particle size and strain conditions on the strength of crushed basalt. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol 20, no 4, pp 706–717. CrossRef
- Barton N and Kjaernsli B (1981). Shear strength of rockfill.ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Division, vol 107, no GT7, pp 873–890.
- Billam J (1971). Some aspects of the behaviour of granular materials at high pressures. Proceedings of Roscoe Memorial Symposium on Stress-Strain Behaviour of Soils, Cambridge University, pp 69–80. Foulis, Henley.
- Bishop A W (1955) . The use of the slip circle in the stability analysis of slopes. Geotechnique, vol 5, no 1, pp 7–17. CrossRef
- Blee C E and Riegel R M (1951). Rockfill dams. Transactions of 4th International Congress on Large Dams, New Delhi, vol 1, pp 189–208.
- Bolton M D (1986). The strength and dilatancy of sands. Geotechnique, vol 36, no 1, pp 65–78. CrossRef
- Charles J A (1982). An appraisal of the influence of a curved failure envelope on slope stability. Geotechnique, vol 32, no 4, pp 389–392. CrossRef
- Charles J A and Watts K S (1980). The influence of confining pressure on the shear strength of compacted rockfill. Geotechnique, vol 30, no 4, pp 353–367. CrossRef
- Charles J A and Soares M M (1984a). Stability of compacted rockfill slopes. Geotechnique, vol 34, no 1, pp 61–70. CrossRef
- Charles J A and Soares M M (1984b). The stability of slopes in soils with nonlinear failure envelopes. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol 21, no 3, pp 397–406. CrossRef
- Costa Filho L M , Froes A S and Romanel C (1982). Analise de estabilidade de taludes em solos com envoltoria de resistencia nao-linear.3rd Latin American Conference on Numerical Methods in Engineering, Buenos Aires.
- Delgado Rodrigues J, Veiga Pinto A and Maranha das Neves E (1982). Rock index properties for prediction of rockfill behaviour. Proceedings of 4th International Congress of International Association of Engineering Geology, New Delhi, vol 6, pp 39–47.
- De Mello V F B (1977). Reflections on design decisions of practical significance to embankment dams; 17th Rankine lecture. Geotechnique, vol 27, no 3, pp 281–354. CrossRef
- Gallacher D (1972). A study of plane strain tests on granular material. MSc thesis, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh.
- Gallacher D (1988). Asphaltic central core at the Megget Dam. Transactions of 16th International Congress on Large Dams, San Francisco, vol 2, pp 707–731.
- Galloway J D (1939). The design of rockfill dams. Transactions of American Society of Civil Engineers, vol 104, pp 1–24.
- Leonards G A and Frost J D (1988) . Settlement of shallow foundations on granular soils. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol 114, no 7, pp 791–809. CrossRef
- Lewis J G (1956). Shear strength of rockfill. Proceedings of2nd Australia New Zealand Conference on Soil Mechanics, pp 50–52.
- Maksimovik M (1979). Limit equilibrium for non-linear failure envelope and arbitrary slip surface.3rd International Conference on Numerical Methods in Geomechanics, Aachen, vol 2, pp 769–777.
- Maksimovik M (1989). Nonlinear failure envelope for coarse grained soils. Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Rio de Janeiro, vol 1, pp 731–734.
- Marachi N D, Chan C K and Seed H B (1972). Evaluation of properties of rockfill materials. ASCE Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, vol 98, SMI, pp 95–114.
- Marsal R J (1973). Mechanical properties of rockfill. Embankment Dam Engineering; Casagrande Volume (eds R C Hirschfeld and S J Poulos), pp 109–200. Wiley, New York.
- Marsal R J, de Arellano L R and Nunez A (1967). Plane strain testing of rockfill materials. Proceedings of 3rd Panamerican Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Caracas, vol 1, pp 249–271.
- Nieble C M, Silveira J F and Midea NF (1974) . Some experiences on the determination of the shear strength of rockfill materials. Proceedings of 2nd International Congress of International Association of Engineering Geology, Sao Paulo, vol 1, theme IV, 34.1–12.
- Ohne Y, Tatebe H, Narita K and Okumura T (1987) . Discussions on seismic stability of slopes for rockfill dams. Proceedings of International Symposium on Earthquakes and Dams, Beijing, vol 1, pp 407–417.
- Rowe P W (1962). The stress-dilatancy relation for static equilibrium of an assembly of particles in contact. Proceedings of Royal Society, vol 269, pp 500–527. CrossRef
- Rowe P W (1969) . The relationship between the shear strength of sands in triaxial compression, plane strain and direct shear. Geotechnique, vol 19, no 1, pp 75–86. CrossRef
- Steensen-Bach J O (1989). Strength evaluation of a natural sand. Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Rio de Janeiro, vol 1, pp 757–762.
- Veiga Pinto A, Delgado Rodrigues J and Maranha das Neves E (1987). Some improvements in the characterisation of basalts and limestones for rockfill structures. Report no 679, Laboratorio Nacional de Engenharia Civil, Lisbon.
- Laboratory Shear Strength Tests and the Stability of Rockfill Slopes
- Book Title
- Advances in Rockfill Structures
- pp 53-72
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO ASI Series
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Series E: Applied Sciences
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.