- J. F. Farrar
- … show all 1 hide
Leaves are where most photosynthesis occurs, but seeds and storage roots form the bulk of food sources. It follows that photosynthesis itself is an inadequate measure of food production, and the fate of carbon fixed in photosynthesis needs to be studied carefully. There is every likelihood that the factors controlling partitioning will be different in general or in detail from those that affect photosynthesis, and it is impossible with current knowledge to predict how, for example, an increased supply of photosynthate (which may come from increased partial pressures of atmospheric СО2) will be partitioned. Indeed, the control of partitioning between organs is scarcely understood, and whole plant and crop models mainly use, as a gesture of despair, a simple partitioning coefficient to describe the proportion of photosynthate passing to the root.
- McQree, K.J. (1986) Measuring the whole-plant daily carbon balance. Photosynthetica 20, 82–93.
- Dey, P.M. (ed.) (1990) Methods in Plant Biochemistry. Vol. 2,Carbohydrates. Academic Press, London.
- Jones, M.G.K., W.H. Outlaw and O.H. Lowry (1977) Procedure for assay of sucrose in the range 10-1-10-14 moles. Plant Physiol. 60, 379–383. CrossRef
- Moller, I.M., A. Berczi, L.H.W. van der Plas and H. Lambers (1988) Measurement of the activity and capacity of the alternative pathway in intact tissues: identification of problems and possible solutions. Physiologia Plantarum 72, 642–9. CrossRef
- Geiger, D.R. (1980) Measurement of translocation. Methods in Enzymology 69, 33–54. CrossRef
- Zierler, K. (1981) A critique of compartmental analysis. Ann. Rev. Biophysics and Bioengineering 10, 531–62. CrossRef
- Minchin, P.E.H. (1989) Systems indentification in plant physiology: an application in the study of carbon movement within whole plants. In: Concise Encyclopaedia of Environmental Systems (P. Young, ed.). Pergamon, Oxford.
- Farrar, S.C. and J.F. Farrar (1986) Compartmentation and fluxes of sucrose in intact leaf blades of barley. New Phytologist 103, 645–57. CrossRef
- Carbon partitioning
- Book Title
- Photosynthesis and Production in a Changing Environment
- Book Subtitle
- A field and laboratory manual
- pp 232-246
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- United Nations Environment Programme
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.