Evaluation of Stability of North Sea Sites
- Derek W. F. Senner
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This contribution is a brief outline of site stability evaluation techniques with reference to typical North Sea soil conditions. Elements of site evaluation are outlined, engineering methods described for preliminary assessment of soil liquefaction potential and slope stability during earthquake loading, and results of analyses from North Sea sites discussed. Generally soils on the North Sea continental shelf appear inherently stable. However, potential for slope failures during earthquakes may exist on the continental slope.
- Seed, H. B., (1979), “Soil Liquefaction and Cyclic Mobility Evaluation for Level Ground During Earthquakes”, Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol. 105, No. GT2, pp. 201–255.
- Morgenstern, N. R. (1967), “Submarine Slumping and the Initiation of Turbidity Currents”, Marine Geotechnique, University of Illinois Press, pp. 189–220.
- Andersen, A and Bjerrum, L. (1967), “Slides in Subaqueous Slopes in Loose Sand and Silt”, Marine Geotechnique, University of Illinois Press, pp. 221–239.
- Demars, K. R., Nacci, V. A. and Wang, W. D. (1977), “Pipeline Failure: A Need for Improved Analyses and Site Surveys”, Proceedings, Ninth Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Vol. 4, pp. 63–70.
- Reifel, M. D. (1979), “Storm Related Damage to Pipelines, Gulf of Mexico”, Proceedings, ASCE Speciality Conference, Pipelines in Adverse Environments, New Orleans, Vol. 1, pp. 169–196.
- Sterling, G. H. and Strohbeck, E. E. (1973), “The Failure of the South Pass 70 “B” Platform in Hurricane Camille”, Proceedings, Fifth Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Vol. 2, pp. 719–730.
- Moore, T. C. Jr., Van Andel, T. H., Blow, W. H. and Heath, G. R. (1970), “Large Submarine Slide off Northeastern Continental Margin of Brazil”, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 125–128.
- Heezen, B. E. and Drake, C. L. (1964), “Grand Banks Slump”, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 221–233.
- Gunleiksrud, T. and Rokoengen, K. (1979), “Regional Geological Mapping of the Norwegian Continental Shelf with Examples of Engineering Applications”, Proceedings, Conference on Offshore Site Investigation, Society of Underwater Technology, London, pp. 23–35.
- Fannin, N. G. T. (1979), “The Use of Regional Geological Surveys in the North Sea and Adjacent Areas in the Recognition of Offshore Hazards”, Proceedings, Conference on Offshore Site Investigation, Society of Underwater Technology, London, pp. 5–22.
- Seed, H. B., Martin, P. P. and Lysmer, J. (1976), “Pore Water Pressure Changes During Soil Liquefaction”, Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol. 102, No. GT4, pp. 323–346.
- Idriss, I. M., Dobry, R., Doyle, E. H. and Singh, R. D. (1976), “Behaviour of Soft Clays Under Earthquake Loading Conditions”, Proceedings, Eighth Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Vol. 3, pp. 605–616.
- ASTM (1978), “Penetration Test and Split-Barrel Sampling of Soils”, Annual Book of ASTM Standards — Part 19, D 1586-67 (1974), American Society of Testing and Materials, pp. 235–240.
- Schmertmann, J. H. (1978), “Guidelines for Cone Penetration Test Performance and Design”, U.S. Department of Transport Publication No. FHWA-TS-209, July, 143 pp.
- Kishada, H. (1970), “Characteristics of Liquefaction of Level Sandy Ground During the Tokachioki Earthquake”, Soils and Foundations, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 103–111.
- Seed, H. B. and Idriss, I. M. (1967), “An Analysis of the Soil Liquefaction in the Niigata Earthquake”, Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, ASCE, Vol. 92, No. SM2, pp. 53–78/
- Hampton, M. A., Bouma, A. H., Carlson, P. R., Molnia, B. F., Clukey, E. C. and Sangrey, D. A. (1978), “Quantitative Study of Slope Instability in the Gulf of Alaska”, Proceedings, Tenth Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Vol. 4, pp. 2307–2318.
- Duvivier, S. and Henstock, P. L. (1979), “Installation of the Piled Foundations and Production Modules on Occidental’s Piper A Platform”, Proceedings, Institution of Civil Engineers, Part 1, Vol. 66, pp. 407–436.
- Sutton, V. J. R., Rigden, W. J., James, E. L., St. John, H. D. and Poskitt, T. J. (1979), “A Full Scale Instrumented Pile Test in the North Sea”, Proceedings, Eleventh Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Vol. 2, pp. 1117–1133
- Evaluation of Stability of North Sea Sites
- Book Title
- Seismicity and Seismic Risk in the Offshore North Sea Area
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop, held at Utrecht, The Netherlands, June 1–4, 1982
- Book Part
- Section 5
- pp 249-259
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO Advanced Study Institutes Series
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Series C — Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.