Micromachined Photonic Band Gap Crystals: From Microwave to the Far-Infrared
- Ekmel Özbay
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In May 1992, I accepted a position at Iowa State University (ISU) and started working on photonic band gap materials with Gary Tuttle, assistant professor of electrical engineering. By that time, the classical papers in the field had already been published [1, 2]. Concepts like conduction and valence bands, acceptor and donor defects , had been introduced and widely used. There were series of articles in Physical Review Letters, about physical mechanisms around these materials [4,5]. People were excited about possible “photonic” applications and experiments, where the spontaneous emission would be reduced to nil at optical frequencies. To my surprise, all of the experimental work was limited by the original work done by Eli Yablonovitch  which was only performed at 15 GHz!! There had been some work by the IBM group to test two-dimensional alumina rods which showed a band gap around 70 GHz, but only for one of the polarizations. I could not find any other experimental work which showed a full band gap in all directions. Besides, there were no published efforts to push the frequency performance to a frequency higher than the original 15 GHz.
- K. M. Ho, C. T. Chan, and C. M. Soukoulis, Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 3152 (1990). CrossRef
- E. E. Yablonovitch, T. J. Gmitter, and K. M. Leung, Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 2295 (1991). CrossRef
- E. Yablonovitch et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 3380 (1991). CrossRef
- S. John, and J. Wang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, 2418 (1990). CrossRef
- J. Martorell and N. M. Lawandy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 1877 (1990) CrossRef
- W. M. Robertson, G. Arjavalingam, R. D. Meade, K. D. Brommer, A. M. Rappe, and J. D. Joannopoulos, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 2023 (1992). CrossRef
- E. Yablonovitch, and T. J. Gmitter, Phys Rev. Lett. 63, 1950 (1989) CrossRef
- C. T. Chan, K. M. Ho, and C. M. Soukoulis, Europhysics Lett. 16, 563 (1991). CrossRef
- E. Yablonovitch, in Photonic Band Gaps and Localization, C. M. Soukoulis, Ed. (Plenum, New York, 1993) p. 207.
- E. Ozbay, A. Abeyta, G. Tuttle, M. Tringides, R. Biswas, C. Soukoulis, C. T. Chan, and K. M. Ho, Phys. Rev. B50, 1945 (1994).
- K. M. Ho, C. T. Chan, C. M. Soukoulis, R. Biswas, and M. Sigalas, Solid State Comm. 89, 413 (1994). CrossRef
- E. Bassous, in Symposium on Electrochemical Technology in Electronics, L. T. Romankiw, T. Osaka, Eds. (Electrochemical Society, Penington, 1987), p. 619.
- D. L. Kendall and G. R. d. Guel, in Micromachining and Micropackaging of Transducers, C. D. Fung, P. W. Cheung, Eds. (Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1985), p. 107.
- E. Ozbay, E. Michel, G. Tuttle, M. Sigalas, R. Biswas, and K. M. Ho, Appl. Phys. Lett., 64 2059 (1994). CrossRef
- E. Ozbay, E. Michel, G. Tuttle, R. Biswas, K. M. Ho, J. Bostak, and D. M. Bloom, Optics Lett. 19, 1155 (1994).
- D. W. Van Der Weide, J. S. Bostak, B. A. Auld, and D. M. Bloom, Appl. Phys. Lett. 62, 22 (1993). CrossRef
- J. S. Bostak, D. W. Van Der Weide, I. Aoki, B. A. Auld, and D. M. Bloom, in proceedings of UltraFast Electronic and Optoelectronics’93, ed. J. Shah, and U. Mishra, p. 112, (1993).
- E. Ozbay, G. Tuttle, M. Sigalas, R. Biswas, K. M. Ho, J. Bostak, and D. M. Bloom, Appl. Phys. Lett. 65, 1617 (1994). CrossRef
- See the articles in the J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 10 (1993), a special feature edited by C.M. Bowden, J.P. Dowling, and H.O. Everitt.
- E. R. Brown, C. D. Parker, and E. Yablonovitch, J. Opt. Soc. B 10, 404 (1993). CrossRef
- E.R. Brown, C.D. Parker, and O.B. McMahon, Appl. Phys. Lett. 64, 3345 (1994). CrossRef
- C.J. Maggiore, A.M. Clogston, G. Spalek, W.C. Sailor, and F.M. Mueller, Appl. Phys. Lett. 64, 1451 (1994). CrossRef
- S. L. McCall, P. M. Platzman, R. Dalichaouch, D. Smith, and S. Schultz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 2017 (1991). CrossRef
- K. M. Leung, J. Opt. Soc. B 10, p. 303 (1993).
- J. B. Pendry and A. MacKinnon, Phys. Rev. Lett. 69, 2722 (1992). CrossRef
- M. M. Sigalas, C. M. Soukoulis, E. N. Economou, C. T. Chan and K. M. Ho, Phys. Rev. B48, 14121 (1993).
- M. M. Sigalas, C. M. Soukoulis, C. T. Chan and K. M. Ho, Phys. Rev. B49, 11080 (1994).
- The laser machining was performed by Accumet Engineering, Hudson, MA.
- Micromachined Photonic Band Gap Crystals: From Microwave to the Far-Infrared
- Book Title
- Photonic Band Gap Materials
- pp 41-61
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO ASI Series
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Series E: Applied Sciences
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.