Scenario analysis of cement production in China: the role of policy and technology in the pathway to sustainable society
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
China’s annual cement production is by far the largest in the world. Although it is a necessity for economic development, its production requires huge amount of energy inputs, adversely affecting sustainable development. In this paper, we identify the determination of cement demand in China and demonstrate scenario analysis toward 2015. We demonstrate that while technological development in the cement industry in China is important in terms of reducing energy input, the most critical factor is to achieve balanced economic growth. In particular, our results suggest the importance of the achievement of the economic growth target in the 12th Five-Years-Initiative of China, addressing the effective urban planning and financial mechanism for technological development and diffusion.
- Uwasu M., Yabar H., Hara K. (2010): Analysis of country level cement production, International Society for Industrial Ecology Annual Meeting, Tokyo, Unpublished.
- U.S. Geological Survey http://minerals.usgs.gov/
- Durlauf, S. N., Johnson, P. A., Temple, R. W. (2005): Growth econometrics in ed. Aghion, P., Durlauf, S. N., Handbook of Economic Growth, Volume 1, North-Holland, San Diego, CA.
- National Bureau of Statistics of China (2010): Complete set of China Statistical Yearbook. China Statistics Press, Beijing.
- Shen, L., Cheng, S., Gunson, A. J., Wan, H. (2005): Urbanization, sustainability and the utilization of energy and mineral resources in China, Cities, 22, pp 287-302. CrossRef
- Japan Cement Association http://www.jcassoc.or.jp/cement/2eng/eh1.html
- China Cement Association (2008): China Cement Almanac, Jilin Educating Publisher, Jilin.
- The National Academy of Sciences http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309068878&page=92
- Price, L., Galitsky, C. (2006): Opportunities for improving energy and environmental performance of China's cement kilns, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, California.
- Tajima, T., Lu, Z., Zhu, Y. (2010): Development of Cement Industry in China, Ochanomizu-shobo, Tokyo (in Japanese)
- Scenario analysis of cement production in China: the role of policy and technology in the pathway to sustainable society
- Book Title
- Design for Innovative Value Towards a Sustainable Society
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of EcoDesign 2011: 7th International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing
- pp 593-598
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Economic growth
- Scenario Analysis
- Energy Consumption
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Center for Service Research, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- 2. Department of Mechanical Engineering Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
- 3. Advanced Manufacturing Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- 4. Department of Mechanical Engineering Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Environmental Innovation for Sustainability, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
- 2. Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Sustainable Environmental Studies, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
- 3. School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.