Family Child-Raising and Educational Strategies Among European Mixed Couples
- Sofia Gaspar
- … show all 1 hide
The aim of this chapter is to cast light on children’s upbringing and education in families of mixed EU nationality living in Lisbon. After a brief introduction, I will dedicate the first two parts to the theoretical contextualization of European mixed couples as a new family arrangement born of EU social integration; as to entail, thereafter, an attentive reflection on issues related to transnational children’s upbringing. Qualitative evidence from 24 in-depth interviews with three different groups of couples (Portuguese women married to European men; Portuguese men married to European women; married non-Portuguese European couples of different nationalities) is then presented and discussed. The findings reveal that when certain variables – children’s language capabilities, type of school, and social networks – are taken into account, three types of educational strategy emerge: a family assimilation strategy, a bi-national family strategy and a peripatetic family strategy. I conclude with a critical appreciation of the role these family strategies play in the research on child-raising among migrants and minorities in environments involving cultural heterogeneity.
- Family Child-Raising and Educational Strategies Among European Mixed Couples
- Book Title
- International Handbook of Migration, Minorities and Education
- Book Subtitle
- Understanding Cultural and Social Differences in Processes of Learning
- pp 117-134
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. School of Education, Melton Center, Hebrew University
- ID2. Hochschule für Soziale Arbeit, Institut Integration und Partizipation, Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz
- Sofia Gaspar (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. ISCTE-IUL, CIES-IUL, Av. das Forças Armadas, 1649-026, Lisbon, Portugal
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.