An Experimental Study of Turbulent Flow in the Vicinity of Transverse Square Bars
- Dubravka Pokrajac
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents results from an experimental investigation of rough turbulent open channel flow over transverse square bars. Bar spacing was systematically varied between 2 and 20 bar heights. Velocities were measured by means of Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV), which captured details of flow fields above and between the bars. The streamlines calculated from the time-averaged flow velocities show the shape of persistent vortices in the gap between the bars. Further analysis is based on Double-Averaged Navier-Stokes equations (DANS). Momentum exchange between the flows above and within the gaps is explored using spatial quadrant analysis and the decomposition of the spatially averaged turbulent stress.
- L. Djenidi, R. Elavarasan, R.A. Antonia, The turbulent boundary layer over transverse square cavities. J. Fluid Mech. 395, 271–294 (1999) CrossRef
- P.-A. Krogstad, H.I. Andersson, O.M. Bakken, A. Ashrafian, An experimental and numerical study of channel flow with rough walls. J. Fluid Mech. 530, 327–352 (2005) CrossRef
- S. Leonardi, P. Orlandi, R.J. Smalley, L. Djenidi, R.A. Antonia, Direct numerical simulations of turbulent channel flow with transverse square bars on one wall. J. Fluid Mech. 491, 229–238 (2005) CrossRef
- V. Nikora, I. McEwan, S. McLean, S. Coleman, D. Pokrajac, R. Walters, Double averaging concept for rough-bed open-channel and overland flows: Theoretical background. ASCE J. Hydraulic Eng. 133(8), 873–883 (2007) CrossRef
- D. Pokrajac, L.J. Campbell, V. Nikora C. Manes, I. McEwan, Quadrant analysis of persistent spatial velocity perturbations over square-bar roughness. Exp. Fluids 42, 413–423 (2007) CrossRef
- D. Pokrajac, I. McEwan, V. Nikora, Spatially averaged turbulent stress and its partitioning. Exp. Fluids 45, 73–83 (2008) CrossRef
- An Experimental Study of Turbulent Flow in the Vicinity of Transverse Square Bars
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on The Physics of Wall-Bounded Turbulent Flows on Rough Walls
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium on The Physics of Wall-Bounded Turbulent Flows on Rough Walls, held Cambridge, UK, July 7-9, 2009
- pp 21-26
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IUTAM Bookseries
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.