Browser based Communications Integration using Representational State Transfer
Web browser based real time communications applications such as instant messaging, call control and presence aware applications differ from traditional desktop based communications applications. Browser based applications typically rely on Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) as an application level communications protocol. Traditional desktop applications have used a variety of client/server protocols and techniques. Browser based applications offer many advantages but also introduce many constraints. This paper investigates the possible use of Representational State Transfer (REST) based architectures for real time communications integration systems. We look at REST in the context of an enterprise unified communication system using telephony and presence as representative features of a unified communications system. We contend that a REST based architecture offers benefits for thin clients in a unified communication environment.
- Browser based Communications Integration using Representational State Transfer
- Book Title
- Novel Algorithms and Techniques in Telecommunications and Networking
- pp 323-328
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Communications Integration
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. School of Engineering, University of Bridgeport
- ID2. School of Engineering, University of Bridgeport
- ID3. School of Engineering, University of Bridgeport
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cisco, Galway, Ireland
- 2. University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.