Why Should Philosophers of Science Pay Attention to the Commercialization of Academic Science?
- Gürol Irzik
- … show all 1 hide
Certain segments of academic science such as biomedicine, genetics and pharmacology are being rapidly commercialized especially in the U.S. In this article, I outline the developments that led to this phenomenon and argue that it has a number of negative effects on various aspects of science, such as the choice of scientific problems and the direction of scientific research, the discovery-invention distinction, social norms and the function of science. Since these issues are the standard purview of the philosophy of science, I urge philosophers of science to pay more attention to the commercialization of academic science.
- Why Should Philosophers of Science Pay Attention to the Commercialization of Academic Science?
- Book Title
- EPSA Epistemology and Methodology of Science
- Book Subtitle
- Launch of the European Philosophy of Science Association
- pp 129-138
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. Fac. Filosofía, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- ID2. Dipto. Filosofia, Universita di Roma, Tre
- ID3. Political Science, London School of Economics &
- Gürol Irzik (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.