A One Dimensional Model for Blood Flow: Application to Vascular Prosthesis
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We investigate a one dimensional model of blood flow in human arteries. In particular we consider the case when an abrupt variation of the mechanical characteristic of an artery is caused by the presence of a vascular prosthesis (e.g. a stent). The derivation of the model and the numerical scheme adopted for its solution are detailed. Numerical experiments show the effectiveness of the model for the problem at hand.
- R. Botnar, G. Rappitsch, M.B. Scheidegger, D. Liepsch, K. Perktold, and P. Boesiger. Hemodynamics in the carotid artery bifurcation: A comparison between numerical simulations and in-vitro measurements. J. of Biomech., 33:137–144, 2000. CrossRef
- S. Canic. On the shock formation in pulsaltile blood flow through a ”stented” aorta modeled by a system of hyperbolic conservation laws with discontinuous coefficients. (In Preparation), 2000.
- L. Formaggia, J.-F. Gerbeau, F. Nobile, and A.Quarteroni. On the coupling of 3D and ID Navier-Stokes equations for flow problems in compliant vessels. Technical Report 3862, INRIA, 2000. to appear in Comp. Methods in Appl. Mech. Engng.
- E. Godlewski and P.-A. Raviart. Numerical approximation of hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, volume 118 of Applied Mathematical Sciences. Springer, New York, 1996.
- K. Hayashi, K. Handa, S. Nagasawa, and A. Okumura. Stiffness and elastic behaviour of human intracranial and extracranial arteries. J. Biomech., 13:175–184, 1980. CrossRef
- T.H. Hughes, C. Taylor, and C. Zarins. Finite element modeling of blood flow in arteries. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 158:155–196, 1998. CrossRef
- G.L. Langewouters, K.H. Wesseling, and W.J.A. Goedhard. The elastic properties of 45 human thoracic and 20 abdominal aortas in vitro and the parameters of a new model. J. Biomech., 17:425–435, 1984. CrossRef
- L.Formaggia, F. Nobile, A. Quarteroni, and A. Veneziani. Multiscale modelling of the circulatory system: a preliminary analysis. Computing and Visualisation in Science, 2:75–83, 1999. CrossRef
- F. Phythoud, N. Stergiopulos, and J.-J. Meister. Forward and backward waves in the arterial system: nonlinear separation using Riemann invariants. Technology and Health Care, 3:201–207, 1995.
- A. Quarteroni, M. Tuveri, and A. Veneziani. Computational vascular fluid dynamics: Problems, models and methods. Computing and Visualisation in Science, 2:163–197, 2000. CrossRef
- A. Quarteroni and A. Valli. Domain decomposition methods for partial differential equations. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999.
- A. Tozeren. Elastic properties of arteries and their influence on the cardiovascular system. ASME J. Biomech. Eng., 106:182–185, 1984. CrossRef
- A One Dimensional Model for Blood Flow: Application to Vascular Prosthesis
- Book Title
- Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Simulation in Continuum Mechanics
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the International Symposium on Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Simulation in Continuum Mechanics, September 29 – October 3, 2000 Yamaguchi, Japan
- pp 137-153
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 6. Department of Aerospace Engineering & Engineering Mechanics, The University of Texas at Austin
- 7. Laboratoire d’Analyse Numérique, Université Pierre et Marie Curie
- 8. Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Yamaguchi University
- Author Affiliations
- 10. Mathematics Department, EPFL, Lausanne, CH-1015, Switzerland
- 9. Mathematics Department, Politecnico di Milano, I-20133, Milano, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.