Shaping the Landscape of Industry Standard Benchmarks: Contributions of the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC)
- Raghunath NambiarAffiliated withLancaster UniversityCisco Systems, Inc.
- , Nicholas WakouAffiliated withLancaster UniversityDell Inc.
- , Andrew MaslandAffiliated withCarnegie Mellon UniversityNEC Corporation of America
- , Peter ThawleyAffiliated withCarnegie Mellon UniversitySybase, an SAP Company
- , Matthew LankenAffiliated withCarnegie Mellon UniversityOracle Corporation
- , Forrest CarmanAffiliated withCarnegie Mellon UniversityOwen Media
- , Michael MajdalanyAffiliated withCarnegie Mellon UniversityLoBue & Majdalany Magt Group
Established in 1988, the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) has had a significant impact on the computing industry’s use of industry-standard benchmarks. These benchmarks are widely adapted by systems and software vendors to illustrate performance competitiveness for their existing products, and to improve and monitor the performance of their products under development. Many buyers use TPC benchmark results as points of comparison when purchasing new computing systems and evaluating new technologies.
In this paper, the authors look at the contributions of the Transaction Processing Performance Council in shaping the landscape of industry standard benchmarks – from defining the fundamentals like performance, price for performance, and energy efficiency, to creating standards for independently auditing and reporting various aspects of the systems under test.
KeywordsIndustry Standard Benchmarks
- Shaping the Landscape of Industry Standard Benchmarks: Contributions of the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC)
- Book Title
- Topics in Performance Evaluation, Measurement and Characterization
- Book Subtitle
- Third TPC Technology Conference, TPCTC 2011, Seattle, WA, USA, August 29-September 3, 2011, Revised Selected Papers
- pp 1-9
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Standard Benchmarks
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Data Center Group, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- 17. Server Technologies, Oracle Corporation
- Author Affiliations
- 18. Cisco Systems, Inc., 3800 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA, 95134, USA
- 19. Dell Inc., One Dell Way, Round Rock, TX, 78682, USA
- 20. NEC Corporation of America, 14335 NE 24th Street, Bellevue, WA, 98007, USA
- 21. Sybase, an SAP Company, 1 Sybase Drive, Dublin, CA, 94568, USA
- 22. Oracle Corporation, 500 Oracle Pkwy, Redwood Shores, CA, 94065, USA
- 23. Owen Media, 3130 E. Madison St., Suite 206, Seattle, WA, 98112, USA
- 24. LoBue & Majdalany Magt Group, 572B Ruger St., San Francisco, CA, 94129, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.