StarPU: A Unified Platform for Task Scheduling on Heterogeneous Multicore Architectures
- Cédric AugonnetAffiliated withUniversity of Bordeaux – LaBRI – INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest
- , Samuel ThibaultAffiliated withUniversity of Bordeaux – LaBRI – INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest
- , Raymond NamystAffiliated withUniversity of Bordeaux – LaBRI – INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest
- , Pierre-André WacrenierAffiliated withUniversity of Bordeaux – LaBRI – INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest
In the field of HPC, the current hardware trend is to design multiprocessor architectures that feature heterogeneous technologies such as specialized coprocessors (e.g. Cell/BE SPUs) or data-parallel accelerators (e.g. GPGPUs).
Approaching the theoretical performance of these architectures is a complex issue. Indeed, substantial efforts have already been devoted to efficiently offload parts of the computations. However, designing an execution model that unifies all computing units and associated embedded memory remains a main challenge.
We have thus designed StarPU, an original runtime system providing a high-level, unified execution model tightly coupled with an expressive data management library. The main goal of StarPU is to provide numerical kernel designers with a convenient way to generate parallel tasks over heterogeneous hardware on the one hand, and easily develop and tune powerful scheduling algorithms on the other hand.
We have developed several strategies that can be selected seamlessly at run time, and we have demonstrated their efficiency by analyzing the impact of those scheduling policies on several classical linear algebra algorithms that take advantage of multiple cores and GPUs at the same time. In addition to substantial improvements regarding execution times, we obtained consistent superlinear parallelism by actually exploiting the heterogeneous nature of the machine.
- StarPU: A Unified Platform for Task Scheduling on Heterogeneous Multicore Architectures
- Book Title
- Euro-Par 2009 Parallel Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 15th International Euro-Par Conference, Delft, The Netherlands, August 25-28, 2009. Proceedings
- pp 863-874
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Department of Software Technology, Delft University of Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 17. University of Bordeaux – LaBRI – INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.