PowerPoint Multimedia Presentations in Computer Science Education: What Do Users Need?
- Elke I. ReussAffiliated withInstitute for Information Systems, ETH Zurich
- , Beat SignerAffiliated withInstitute for Information Systems, ETH Zurich
- , Moira C. NorrieAffiliated withInstitute for Information Systems, ETH Zurich
PowerPoint is one of the most frequently used tools to present multimedia for educational purposes. Nevertheless, little is known about the users’ needs when using PowerPoint during lecturing. Our study focused on the presenter’s needs in this context of use. We interviewed nine university lecturers from the computer science department by means of a questionnaire. The results show that users require features that are not yet realised with PowerPoint. For example, the control and use of other media should be adequately integrated. Or the navigation within the slide collection should be improved to better meet the users’ needs. Based on our findings, we outline required system features and suggest solutions in form of a prototype.
KeywordsMultimedia Presentations in Education User Centred Design Interactive Paper
- PowerPoint Multimedia Presentations in Computer Science Education: What Do Users Need?
- Book Title
- HCI and Usability for Education and Work
- Book Subtitle
- 4th Symposium of the Workgroup Human-Computer Interaction and Usability Engineering of the Austrian Computer Society, USAB 2008, Graz, Austria, November 20-21, 2008. Proceedings
- pp 281-298
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Multimedia Presentations in Education
- User Centred Design
- Interactive Paper
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Medical Informatics, Statistics and Documentation (IMI) Research Unit HCI4MED, Medical University Graz (MUG)
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Institute for Information Systems, ETH Zurich, CH-8092, Zurich,
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.