Enhancing a DLP System for Advanced Database Applications
- Giorgio TerracinaAffiliated withDipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria
- , Erika De FrancescoAffiliated withDipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria
- , Claudio PanettaAffiliated withDipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria
- , Nicola LeoneAffiliated withDipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria
Disjunctive logic programming under answer set semantics (DLP, ASP) is a powerful rule-based formalism for knowledge representation and reasoning. The language of DLP is very expressive, and allows to model also advanced knowledge-based tasks arising in modern application-areas like, e.g., information integration and knowledge management. The recent development of efficient systems supporting disjunctive logic programming, has encouraged the usage of DLP in real-world applications. However, despite the high expressiveness of their languages, the success of DLP systems is still dimmed when the applications of interest become data intensive (current DLP systems work only in main memory) or they need the execution of some inherently procedural sub-tasks. The main goal of this paper is precisely to improve efficiency and usability of DLP systems in these contexts, for a full exploitation of DLP in real-world applications.
We develop a DLP system which (i) carries out as much as possible of the reasoning tasks in mass memory without degrading performances, allowing to deal with data-intensive applications; (ii) extends the expressiveness of DLP language with external function calls, yet improving efficiency (at least for procedural sub-tasks) and knowledge-modeling power; (iii) incorporates an optimization strategy, based on an unfolding technique, for efficient query answering; (iv) supports primitives allowing to integrate data from different databases in a simple way.
We test the system on a real data-integration application, comparing its performance against the main DLP systems. Test results are very encouraging: the proposed system can handle significantly larger amounts of data than competitor systems, and it is also faster in response time.
- Enhancing a DLP System for Advanced Database Applications
- Book Title
- Web Reasoning and Rule Systems
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Conference, RR 2008, Karlsruhe, Germany, October 31-November 1, 2008. Proceedings
- pp 119-134
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Computer Science, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
- 2. Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Fakultät für Angewandte Wissenschaften, Institut für Informatik, Georges-Köhler-Allee
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Dipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria, I-87036, Rende (CS), Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.