A Local-Search 2-Approximation for 2-Correlation-Clustering
- Tom ColemanAffiliated withThe University of Melbourne
- , James SaundersonAffiliated withThe University of Melbourne
- , Anthony WirthAffiliated withThe University of Melbourne
CorrelationClustering is now an established problem in the algorithms and constrained clustering communities. With the requirement that at most two clusters be formed, the minimisation problem is related to the study of signed graphs in the social psychology community, and has applications in statistical mechanics and biological networks.
Although a PTAS exists for this problem, its running time is impractical. We therefore introduce a number of new algorithms for 2CC, including two that incorporate some notion of local search. In particular, we show that the algorithm we call PASTA-toss is a 2-approximation on complete graphs.
Experiments confirm the strong performance of the local search approaches, even on non-complete graphs, with running time significantly lower than rival approaches.
- A Local-Search 2-Approximation for 2-Correlation-Clustering
- Book Title
- Algorithms - ESA 2008
- Book Subtitle
- 16th Annual European Symposium, Karlsruhe, Germany, September 15-17, 2008. Proceedings
- pp 308-319
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.