Does Secure Time-Stamping Imply Collision-Free Hash Functions?
- Ahto BuldasAffiliated withCybernetica, Akadeemia tee 21, 12618 TallinnTallinn University of Technology, Raja 15, 12618 TallinnUniversity of Tartu, Liivi 2, 50409 Tartu
- , Aivo JürgensonAffiliated withTallinn University of Technology, Raja 15, 12618 TallinnElion Enterprises Ltd, Endla 16, 15033 Tallinn
We prove that there are no black-box reductions from Collision-Free Hash Functions to secure time-stamping schemes, which means that in principle secure time-stamping schemes may exist even if there exist no collision-resistant hash functions. We show that there is an oracle relative to which there exist secure time-stamping schemes but no hash function is collision-free. The oracle we use is not new — a similar idea was already used by Simon in 1998 to show that collision-free hash functions cannot be constructed from one-way permutations in a black-box way. Our oracle contains a random hash function family f and a universal collision-finder A. We show that hash-tree time-stamping schemes that use f as a hash function remain secure even in the presence of A. From more practical view, our result is an implicit confirmation that collision-finding attacks against hash functions will tell us quite little about the security of hash-tree time-stamping schemes and that we need more dedicated research about back-dating attacks against practical hash functions.
- Does Secure Time-Stamping Imply Collision-Free Hash Functions?
- Book Title
- Provable Security
- Book Subtitle
- First International Conference, ProvSec 2007, Wollongong, Australia, November 1-2, 2007. Proceedings
- pp 138-150
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cybernetica, Akadeemia tee 21, 12618 Tallinn, Estonia
- 2. Tallinn University of Technology, Raja 15, 12618 Tallinn, Estonia
- 3. University of Tartu, Liivi 2, 50409 Tartu, Estonia
- 4. Elion Enterprises Ltd, Endla 16, 15033 Tallinn, Estonia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.