Upscaling of Transport Equations for Multiphase and Multicomponent Flows
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we discuss upscaling of immiscible multiphase and miscible multicomponent flow and transport in heterogeneous porous media. The discussion presented in the paper summarizes the results of in Upscaled Modeling in Multiphase Flow Applications by Ginting et al. (2004) and in Upscaling of Multiphase and Multicomponent Flow by Ginting et al. (2006). Perturbation approaches are used to upscale the transport equation that has hyperbolic nature. Our numerical results show that these upscaling techniques give an improvement over the existing upscaled models which ignore the subgrid terms.
- M.A. Christie. Upscaling for reservoir simulation. J. Pet. Tech., pages 1004–1010, 1996.
- N.H. Darman, G.E. Pickup, and K.S. Sorbie. A comparison of two-phase dynamic upscaling methods based on fluid potentials. Comput. Geosci., 6:5–27, 2002. CrossRef
- C.V. Deutsch and A.G. Journel. GSLIB: Geostatistical Software Library and User’s Guide. Oxford University Press, New York, 2nd edition, 1998.
- L.J. Durlofsky. Numerical calculation of equivalent grid block permeability tensors for heterogeneous porous media. Water Resour. Res., 27:699–708, 1991. CrossRef
- L.J. Durlofsky, R.C. Jones, and W.J. Milliken. A nonuniform coarsening approach for the scale up of displacement processes in heterogeneous media. Adv. in Water Res., 20:335–347, 1997. CrossRef
- Y.R. Efendiev and L.J. Durlofsky. Numerical modeling of subgrid heterogeneity in two phase flow simulations. Water Resour. Res., 38(8):1128, 2002. CrossRef
- Y.R. Efendiev, L.J. Durlofsky, and S.H. Lee. Modeling of subgrid effects in coarse scale simulations of transport in heterogeneous porous media. Water Resour. Res., 36:2031–2041, 2000. CrossRef
- Y.R. Efendiev, T.Y. Hou, and T. Strinopoulos. Multiscale simulations of porous media flows in flow-based coordinate. Comput. Geosci., 2006. submitted.
- T.Y. Hou and X.H. Wu. A multiscale finite element method for elliptic problems in composite materials and porous media. J. Comput. Phys., 134:169–189, 1997. CrossRef
- P. Langlo and M.S. Espedal. Macrodispersion for two-phase, immisible flow in porous media. Adv. in Water Res., 17:297–316, 1994. CrossRef
- W. Zijl and A. Trykozko. Numerical homogenization of two-phase flow in porous media. Comput. Geosci., 6(1):49–71, 2002. CrossRef
- Upscaling of Transport Equations for Multiphase and Multicomponent Flows
- Book Title
- Domain Decomposition Methods in Science and Engineering XVII
- Book Part
- pp 193-200
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 7. Institute of Computational Mathematics, Johannes Kepler University Linz
- 8. Institute of Analysis and Scientific Computing — CMCS, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL SB IACS CMCS Bâtiment MA
- 9. Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics, Columbia University
- 10. Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University
- Author Affiliations
- 11. Department of Mathematics and Institute for Scientific Computation, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX 77843-3404, USA
- 12. Department of Mathematics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
- 13. Department of Mathematics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.