Circular and Magnetron Inductor/Sensor Coils to Detect Volumetric Brain Edema by Inductive Phase Shift
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Circular and planar magnetron coils were evaluated and compared for their ability to detect edema in the brain through volumetric inductive phase shift spectroscopy. The circular coil was considered as a single turn wire and the magnetron surface coil configuration was based on the principle of the cavity magnetron with successive slots. The brain cavity was modeled as an idealized sphere transversely centered with respect to the coils. The volumetric sensitivity to changes in the brain was examined by inserting in the brain cavity a spherical hematoma. The magnetic flux densities generated by the inductor and magnetron coils were evaluated through a three-dimensional finite elements solution of the quasi-static equations. Spectra of inductive phase shift induced in a second circular or magnetron receiver coils were estimated in a range of frequencies from 100KHz to 50MHz. In the analyzed range, the sensitivity of the phase shift to the presence of the edema increased with frequency. Using a planar magnetron as an induction coil increased somewhat the sensitivity to volumetric phase shift detection of edema over the use of a circular coil.
- C. Ayata, and A. H. Ropper (2002) Ischaemic brain oedema. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 9(2):113-124 CrossRef
- Kyle AH, Chan CT, Minchinton AI (1999) Characterization of three-dimensional tissue cultures using electrical impedance spectroscopy. Biophys J 76:2640-8. CrossRef
- Al-Zeiback and N.H. Saunders (1993) A feasibility study of in vivo electromagnetic imaging. Phys Med Biol 38:151-160. CrossRef
- A.V. Korzhenevskii and V.A. Cherepenin (1997) Magnetic induction tomography. J Comm Technol Electron 42(4):469-474.
- A.V. Korjenevsky and V.A. Cherepenin (1999) Progress in Realization of Magnetic Induction Tomography. Ann NY Acad Sci 873:346-52. CrossRef
- H. Griffiths (2001) Magnetic Induction tomography. Meas Sci Technol 12:1126-31. CrossRef
- C. A. González and B. Rubinsky (2006) A Theoretical Study on Magnetic Induction Frequency Dependence of Phase Shift in Oedema and Haematoma. Physiol Meas 27:829-838. CrossRef
- C. A. González and B. Rubinsky (2006) Detection of Brain Oedema with Frequency Dependent Phase Shift Electromagnetic Induction. Physiol Meas 27:539-552 CrossRef
- B. Rubinsky and C. A. González (2005) Volumetric Induction Phase Shift Detection of Edema and Ischemia. Patent applicationUSA, jun 2005 (application number: 028726-047).
- A. O. Rodríguez (2006) Magnetron Surface Coil for Brain MR Imaging. Archives of Medical Research 37:804-807. CrossRef
- E. M. Purcell (1984) Electricity and Magnetism, Berkeley Physics Course Vol 2 Berkeley Physics pp 263-265
- G.R. Hugo and S.K. Burke (1988) Impedance Changes in a Coil due to a Nearby Small Conducting Sphere. J Phys D: Appl Phys 21:33-8 CrossRef
- A. D. Taghjian and S. R. Best (2005) Impedance, bandwidth, and Q of antennas. IEEE Trans on Antennas and Propagation 53(4):1298-1325 CrossRef
- S. Gabriel, R. W. Lau and C. Gabriel (1996) The Dielectric Properties of Biological Tissues: III. Parametric Models for the Dielectric Spectrum of Tissues. Phys Med Biol 41:2271-93. CrossRef
- COMSOL. Electromagnetic Module User’s Guide, COMSOL, Inc., 2005; 11-15.
- J. L. Schepps and K. R. Foster (1980) The UHF and microwave dielectric properties of normal and tumor tissues: Variations in dielectric properties with tissue water content. Phys Med Biol 25(6):1149-1159. CrossRef
- Circular and Magnetron Inductor/Sensor Coils to Detect Volumetric Brain Edema by Inductive Phase Shift
- Book Title
- 13th International Conference on Electrical Bioimpedance and the 8th Conference on Electrical Impedance Tomography
- Book Subtitle
- ICEBI 2007, August 29th - September 2nd 2007, Graz, Austria
- pp 315-319
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IFMBE Proceedings
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Medical Engineering, Graz University of Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Laboratorio Multidisciplinario de Investigación, Universidad del Ejército y F.A.M./E.M.G.S., D.F. C.P., Mexico
- 3. Escuela Superior de Medicina-Sección de Estudios de Posgrado e Investigación,, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, D.F. C.P., Mexico
- 4. Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica-Ingeniería Biomédica,, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana-Iztapalapa, D.F. C.P., Mexico
- 5. Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering Department, University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.