Group Average Representations in Euclidean Distance Cones
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The set of Euclidean distance matrices has a well-known representation as a convex cone. The problems of representing the group averages of K distance matrices are discussed, but not fully resolved, in the context of SMACOF, Generalized Orthogonal Procrustes Analysis and Individual Differences Scaling. The polar (or dual) cone representation, corresponding to inner-products around a centroid, is also discussed. Some new characterisations of distance cones in terms of circumhyperspheres are presented.
- CARROLL, J.D. and CHANG, J.J. (1972): Analysis of individual differences in multidimensional scaling via an n-way generalization of Eckart-Young decomposition. Psychometrika 35, 283–319. CrossRef
- CRITCHLEY, F. (1980): Optimal norm characterisations of multidimensional scaling methods and some related data analysis problems. In: E. Diday et al. (Eds.): Data Analysis and Informatics. North Holland, Amsterdam, 209–229.
- CRITCHLEY, F. (1988): On certain linear mappings between inner-products and squared-distance matrices. Linear Algebra and its Applications 105, 91–107. CrossRef
- DATTORRO, J. (2006): Convex optimization and Euclidean distance geometrys. Meboo Publishing, Palo Alto, California, USA.
- DYKSTRA, R.L. (1983): An algorithm for restricted least squares regression. Jounrnal of the American Statistical Association 78, 837–842. CrossRef
- GOWER, J.C. (1982): Euclidean distance geometry. The Mathematical Scientist 7, 1–14.
- GOWER, J.C. (1985): Properties of Euclidean and non-Euclidean distance matrices. Linear Algebra and its Applications 67, 81–97. CrossRef
- GOWER, J.C. and DIJKSTERHUIS, G.B. (2005): Procrustes Problems. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- GOWER, J.C. and GROENEN, P.J.F. (1991): Applications of the modified Leverrier-Faddeev algorithm for the construction of explicit matrix spectral decompositions and inverses. Utilitas Mathematica 40, 51–64.
- HEISER, W. and DE LEEUW, J. (1979): How to use SMACOF-1, A program for metric muktidimensional scaling. Department of Datatheory, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Leiden, Wassenaarseweg 80, Leiden, The Netherlands, 1–63.
- HAYDN, T.L., WELLS, J. LIU, W-M and TARAZAGA, P. (1991): The cone of distance matrices. Linear Algebra and its Applications 144, 153–169. CrossRef
- SCHOENBERG, I.J. (1935): Remarks to Maurice Frechet’s article “Sur la définition axiomatique d’une classe d’espaces vectoriels distanciés applicables vectoriellement sur l’espace de Hilbert”. Annals of Mathematics 36, 724–732. CrossRef
- Group Average Representations in Euclidean Distance Cones
- Book Title
- Selected Contributions in Data Analysis and Classification
- Book Part
- Part VI
- pp 445-454
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Studies in Classification, Data Analysis, and Knowledge Organization
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 19. Faculty of Economics, University of Porto
- 20. ESG UQAM
- 21. Department Lussi, ENST Bretagne
- 22. Centre of Computer Science (CIn), Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE)
- Author Affiliations
- 23. Department of Statistics, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.