Actors That Unify Threads and Events
- Philipp HallerAffiliated withProgramming Methods Lab (LAMP), École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 1015 Lausanne
- , Martin OderskyAffiliated withProgramming Methods Lab (LAMP), École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 1015 Lausanne
There is an impedance mismatch between message-passing concurrency and virtual machines, such as the JVM. VMs usually map their threads to heavyweight OS processes. Without a lightweight process abstraction, users are often forced to write parts of concurrent applications in an event-driven style which obscures control flow, and increases the burden on the programmer.
In this paper we show how thread-based and event-based programming can be unified under a single actor abstraction. Using advanced abstraction mechanisms of the Scala programming language, we implemented our approach on unmodified JVMs. Our programming model integrates well with the threading model of the underlying VM.
- Actors That Unify Threads and Events
- Book Title
- Coordination Models and Languages
- Book Subtitle
- 9th International Conference, COORDINATION 2007, Paphos, Cyprus, June 6-8, 2007. Proceedings
- pp 171-190
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.