Media Space Navigator: Navigating Video Content on IPTV Portals
- Simon VoglAffiliated withAustrian Research Centers Gmbh - Research Studios
- , Peter HalbmayerAffiliated withAustrian Research Centers Gmbh - Research Studios
- , Christoph LichtenbergerAffiliated withAustrian Research Centers Gmbh - Research Studios
- , Helmut RauschaAffiliated withTelekom Austria TA AG
- , Doris RodlerAffiliated withTelekom Austria TA AG
- , Waltraud MüllnerAffiliated withTelekom Austria TA AG
With the introduction of IPTV services, today broadcast and on demand services may be offered seamlessly. The growing amount of content creates a significant navigation challenge for the user that we try to resolve by providing a uniform way to access both services simultaneously.
The Media Space Navigator combines entries from Video on Demand sources with data about life shows from EPG feeds into a unified graph structure that links entries by similarity. Users can browse the graph via an interface that has been designed for casual browsing with a remote control: For each entry, it provides a ranked view of the most relevant neighbours, which are accessible using cursor buttons. By selecting an entry, users can either select a node, or directly jump to the content (either the broadcast channel or a payment dialog to access a stored movie).
The similarity measure is computed in a hybrid approach by merging different meta-data domains (film genre, actors, etc.), graph distance metrics and user preferences that can be entered casually during navigation: Rating entries with one to three plusses influences genre and actor weights in the similarity calculation.
- Media Space Navigator: Navigating Video Content on IPTV Portals
- Book Title
- Changing Television Environments
- Book Subtitle
- 6th European Conference, EUROITV 2008, Salzburg, Austria, July 3-4, 2008 Proceedings
- pp 248-252
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.