Validation of Cone Beam CT Scan for Measurement of Palatal Depth in Study Casts
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of this study was to validate the use of digital dental study casts obtained from Cone beam CT Scan (CBCT) against gold standard; that is traditional dental study cast measured with digital caliper.
Thirty-four study casts of Malaysian Aborigines were selected from Centre of Malaysian Pribumi Studies Databank. Palatal depth of each study casts were measured using Mitutoyo digital caliper. Subsequently, all the study models were scanned using i-CAT CBCT and the palatal depth were measured using i-CAT software. Data were analysed using SPSS version 12.0 where Intraclass correlation and paired T-test were employed.
There was no significant difference in palatal depth between CBCT and Mitutoyo digital caliper (p>0.05). Average measures for Intraclass Correlation is 0.753 indicate that it is consistently good.
Within the limitation of this study palatal depth measurement produced by CBCT was as accurate as the digital caliper. However, more samples and parameters should be added to further substantiate the result of this study.
- Mitchell L. An introduction to Orthodontics. Third edition. Oxford. Oxford University Press. 2007. 49–60
- Asquith J, Gillgrass T, Mossey P. Three-dimensional imaging of orthodontic models: a pilot study. Eur J Orthod. 2007; 29: 517–522 CrossRef
- Ferracane JL. Materials in Dentistry. Principles and Applications. Second Edition. Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2001. 173–222
- Machen DE. Legal aspects of orthodontic practice: risk management concepts. British Association of Orthodontists Newsletter, 1991. September: 4.
- McGuinness NJ, Stephens CD. Storage of orthodontic study models in hospital units in the U.K. 1992. 19:227–232
- Champagne M. Reliability of measurements from photocopies of study models. J Clin Orthod. 1992; 26:648–650
- Nollet PJPM, Katsaros C, van’ t Hof MA, Bongaarts CA, Semb G, Shaw WC, Kuijpers-Jagtmann AM. Photographs of study casts: an alternative medium for rating dental arch relationships in unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J. 2004; 41:646–650 CrossRef
- Schwaninger B, Schmidt RL, Hurst RVV. Holography in dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 1977; 95:814–817
- Keating PJ, Parker RA, Keane D, Wright L. The holographic storage of study models. Br J Orthod. 1984; 11:119–125
- Buschang PH, Ceen RF, Schroeder JN. Holographic storage of dental casts. J Clin Orthod. 1990; 24:308–311.
- Ayoub AF, Wray D, Moos KF, Jin J, Niblett TB, Urquhart C, Mourfourth P, Siebert P. A three-dimensional imaging system for archiving dental study casts: a preliminary report. Int J Adult Orthod Orthognathic Surg.1997;12:79–84.
- Bell A, Ayoub AF, Siebert P. Assessment of the accuracy of a threedimensional imaging system for archiving dental study models. J Orthod. 2003; 30:219–223 CrossRef
- Joffe L. OrthoCAD™: digital models for a digital era. J Orthod. 2004; 31:344–347. CrossRef
- Sukovic P. (2003) Cone beam computed tomography in craniofacial imaging. Orthod. Craniofacial Res. 6(Suppl.1): 31–36 CrossRef
- Koudi MS and Patil SP. Dental Materials. Prep Manual For Undergraduates: First Edition. New Delhi. Elsevier. 2007. 49.
- Costalos PA, Sarraf K, Cangialosi TJ, Efstratiadis S. Evaluation of the accuracy of digital model analysis for the American Board of Orthodontics objective grading system for dental casts. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2005; 128: 624–629 CrossRef
- Santoro M, Galkin S, Teredesai M, Nicolay OF, Cangialosi TJ (2003). Comparison of measurements made on digital and plaster models Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 124:101–105 CrossRef
- Rheude B. Sadowsky PL, Ferriera A., Jacobson A (2005). An evaluation of the use of digital study models in orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning, Angle Orthod, 75: 300–304
- Stevens DR., Flores-Mir C, Nebbe B, Raboud DW, Heo G, Major PW. Validity, reliability, and reproducibility of plaster vs digital study models: Comparison of peer assessment rating and Bolton analysis and their constituent measurements. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006;129: 794–803 CrossRef
- Lundner AS. Comparison of comprehensive cast analysis on plaster and digital study models. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: 812–813
- Mullen SR, Martin CA, Ngan P, Gladwin M. Accuracy of space analysis with emodels and plaster models. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 132: 346–352 CrossRef
- Validation of Cone Beam CT Scan for Measurement of Palatal Depth in Study Casts
- Book Title
- 4th Kuala Lumpur International Conference on Biomedical Engineering 2008
- Book Subtitle
- BIOMED 2008 25–28 June 2008 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- pp 758-761
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IFMBE Proceedings
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- dental study casts
- palatal depth
- CBCT & Digital Caliper
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biomedical Engineering Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 4. Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 5. Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.