Standardization of Distance and Angulation of Light Curing Unit Tip Using Distometer
The purpose of this study was to investigate the light intensity of selected light curing unit with varying distance and angulation of the light curing tip and lightmeter.
Four types of light units; Spectrum 800 (Dentsply), Coltulux 3 (Coltene), Elipar FreeLight 2 (3M Espe) and Starlight Pro (Mectron) were evaluated for light intensity at various distance between the light curing tip and the lightometer Cure Rite Denstply (0, 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 mm). The light curing units were angulated at 45°, 60° and 90° at a standardized 5 mm distance.
The intensity of light curing is affected by the distance between the light curing tip and the lightmeter. However, the decrease in light intensity of the light curing unit was found not to obey the inverse square law for the distances 0 to 15 mm.
The study found that there was no significant difference between 45° and 60° angulation between the light curing tip and the lightmeter. However, the decrease in light intensity is significant when compared to the light tip is placed perpendicular (90°) to the aperture of the light meter.
- Murchison, D.F., Roeters, J., Vargos, M.A, Chan, D.C.N. (2006). Direct Anterior Restorations in Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry. A Contemporary Approach. 3rd Edition. Quintessence
- Powers, J.M., Sakaguchi R.L. (2006) Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials. Mosby Elservier
- McCabe, J.F., Walls, A.W.G. (1998). Applied Dental Materials. 8th Edition. Blackwell Publishing
- Anusavice K.J. (2003). Philips’ Science of Dental Materials. Eleventh Edition. Saunders
- Van Noort, R. (2002) Introductions to Dental Materials. Mosby-Year Book, Inc.
- Kelsey, W.P., Shearer, G.O., Cavel, W.T., Blankenau, R.J. (1987). The effects of wand positioning on the polymerization of composite resin. J Am Dent Assoc 114:213–215
- Radzi, Z., Yahya, N. A., Zamzam, N., Wood, D.J., (2004) Light Curing Units in Orthodontics. Annals of Dentistry 11: 13–23
- Radzi, Z., Yahya, N. A., Kasim, N.H., Abu Osman, N.A., Aziz, Z.A. (2006) Light Composite Distometer. Abstract University of Malaya Research and Innovation Expo.
- Rueggeberg, F.A., Jordan, D.M. (1993). Effect of light tip distance on polymerization of resin composite. The Int Jour Prosthod 6: 364–370
- Pires, J..A.F., Cvitko, E., Denehy, G.E., Swift, E.J. (1993) Effects of curing tip distance on light intensity and composite resin microhardness. Quintessence Int; 24: 517–521
- Cacciafesta, V., Sfondrini M.F., Scribante, A., Jost-Brinkmann, P.G. (2005). Effect of light-tip distance on the shear bond strength of composite resin. Angle Orthod; 75: 386–391
- Standardization of Distance and Angulation of Light Curing Unit Tip Using Distometer
- Book Title
- 3rd Kuala Lumpur International Conference on Biomedical Engineering 2006
- Book Subtitle
- Biomed 2006, 11 – 14 December 2006 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- pp 141-143
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IFMBE Proceedings
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Additional Links
- Light curing unit
- Light intensity
- Composite resin
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biomedical Engineering Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya
- Author Affiliations
- 2. University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 3. Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 4. Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 5. Centre for Language Studies, International Islamic University, Malaysia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.