The Empirical Study of Ethical Issues in Survey Participation
- Eleanor Singer
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
I first met Peter Schmidt in the late eighties or early nineties, probably in connection with a research project he was engaged in with a mutual friend, Gerda Lede- rer. Later, while on the Advisory Board of what was then called ZUMA (Zent- rum fuer Umfragen, Methoden und Analysen) at the University of Mannheim, I visited Peter in the castle in which he then lived, and still later he and some colleagues and my husband and I visited a jazz club in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Even though we have seen each other rarely, if at all, since then, we have kept in touch with each other’s work. I admire Peter not only for the elegance of his research, which applies sophisticated methodology to a wide variety of sociological problems, but also for his personal and professional integrity and his warmth as a human being.
- Baker, Reginald P. and Couper, Mick P. 2007, March. The Impact of Screen Size and Background Color on Response in Web Surveys. Paper presented at the General Online Research Conference (GOR’07), Leipzig, Germany.
- Conrad, Frederick, H. Park, Eleanor Singer, Mick P. Couper, Frost Hubbard, and Robert. M. Groves. 2006. Impact of Disclosure Risk on Survey Participation Decisions. Presented at the Annual Conference of the American Association for Public Opinion Research, Montreal, QB, May, 18–21.
- Couper, Mick P. and Lyberg, Lars E. 2005. The Use of Paradata in Survey Research. In Proceedings of the 55th Session of the International Statistical Institute, Sydney, Australia. [CD].
- Couper, Mick P., Eleanor Singer., Roger Tourangeau, Frederick C. Conrad. 2006. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Visual Analog Scales: A Web Experiment. 24(2): 227–245. CrossRef
- Couper, Mick P., Eleanor Singer, Frederick C. Conrad, and Robert M. Groves. 2008. Risk of Disclosure, Perceptions of Risk, and Concerns about Privacy and Confidentiality as Factors in Survey Participation. 24: 255–275.
- Couper, Mick P., Eleanor Singer, Frederick C. Conrad, and Robert M. Groves. 2010. Experimental Studies of Disclosure Risk, Disclosure Harm, Topic Sensitivity, and Survey Participation. (2): 287–300.
- Department of Health and Human Services. 2009 . Code of Federal Regulations. Protection of Human Subjects. Title 45, Part 46.
- Frey, James H. 1986. An Experiment with a Confidentiality Reminder in a Telephone Survey. 50: 267–269. CrossRef
- Gordoni, Galit and Peter Schmidt. 2010. The Decision to Participate in Social Surveys: The Case of the Arab Minority in Israel—An Application of the Theory of Reasoned Action. 22(3): 364–391. CrossRef
- Homans, George C. 1958. Social Behavior as Exchange. 62:597–606. CrossRef
- Porst, Rolf and Christa von Briel. 1995. Wären Sie vielleicht bereit, sich gegebenenfalls noch einmal befragen zu lassen? Oder: Gründe für die Teilnahme an Panelbefragungen. ZUMA-Arbeitsbericht, Nr. 95/04, Mannheim, Germany.
- Reamer, Frederic. C. 1979. Protecting Research Subjects and Unintended Consequences: The Effect of Guarantees of Confidentiality. 43: 497–506. CrossRef
- Singer, Eleanor. 1978. Informed Consent: Consequences for Response Rate and Response Quality in Social Surveys. 43: 144–162. CrossRef
- Singer, Eleanor. 2003. Exploring the Meaning of Consent: Participation in Research and Beliefs about Risks and Benefits. 19: 273–286.
- Singer, Eleanor. 2010. Notes toward a Cost-Benefit Theory of Survey Participation. Distinguished Lecture delivered at University of Maryland, College Park, MD March 12.
- Singer, Eleanor et al. 2010. The Role of Perceived Benefits and Costs in Patients’ Medical Decisions. Unpublished paper, Survey Methodology Program, Survey Research Center, University of Michigan.
- Singer, Eleanor and Mick P. Couper. 2011. Ethical Considerations in Web Surveys. In Social and Behavioral Research and the Internet, eds. Marcel Das, Peter Ester, and Lars Kaczmirek, 133–160. New York: Taylor and Francis.
- Singer, Eleanor, Hans-Jürgen Hippler, and Norbert Schwarz. 1992. Confidentiality Assurances in Surveys: Reassurance or Threat? 4: 256–268. CrossRef
- Singer, Eleanor, Dawn R. von Thurn, and Esther R. Miller. 1995. Confidentiality Assurances and Survey Response: A Review of the Experimental Literature. Public Opinion Quarterly 59: 266–277. CrossRef
- Yan, T., Tourangeau, R. 2008. Fast Times and Easy Questions: The Effects of Age, Experience and Question Complexity on Web Survey Response Times. 22(1): 51–68. CrossRef
- Zikmund-Fisher, Brian J., Mick P. Couper, Eleanor Singer, Carrie A. Levin, Floyd J, Jr. Fowler, Sonja Ziniel, Peter A. Ubel, and Angela Fagerlin. 2010. The DECISIONS Study: A Nationwide Survey of United States Adults Regarding 9 Common Medical Decisions. Journal of Medical Decision Making, 30 (Supplement 1): 20 S-34 S. CrossRef
- The Empirical Study of Ethical Issues in Survey Participation
- Book Title
- Methods, Theories, and Empirical Applications in the Social Sciences
- Book Part
- pp 67-74
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften
- Copyright Holder
- VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften | Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Political Science, University of Giessen
- 2. Institute of Sociology, University of Zürich
- 3. Faculty of Sociology, University of Bielefeld
- Eleanor Singer (4)
- Author Affiliations
- 4. University of Michigan, Michigan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.