Non Uniform Cellular Automata Description of Signed Partition Versions of Ice and Sand Pile Models
- Gianpiero CattaneoAffiliated withDipartimento Di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione, Università di Milano – Bicocca
- , Giampiero ChiaselottiAffiliated withDipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria
- , Alberto DennunzioAffiliated withDipartimento Di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione, Università di Milano – Bicocca
- , Enrico FormentiAffiliated withCNRS, Univ. Nice Sophia Antipolis
- , Luca ManzoniAffiliated withCNRS, Univ. Nice Sophia Antipolis
This paper reviews the well-known formalisations for ice and sand piles, based on a finite sequence of non-negative integers and its recent extension to signed partitions, i.e. sequences of a non-negative and a non-positive part of integers, both non increasing.
The ice pile model can be interpreted as a discrete time dynamical system under the action of a vertical and a horizontal evolution rule, whereas the sand pile model is characterized by the unique action of the vertical rule.
The signed partition extension, besides these two dynamical evolution rules, also takes into account an annihilation rule at the boundary region between the non-negative and the non-positive regions. We provide an original physical interpretation of this model as a p-n junction of two semiconductors.
Moreover, we show how the sand pile extension of the signed partition environment can be formalized by mean of a non-uniform cellular automaton (CA) since the vertical and the annihilation evolution rules have the formal description of two CA local rules. Finally, we provide a similar construction for the ice pile extension.
- Non Uniform Cellular Automata Description of Signed Partition Versions of Ice and Sand Pile Models
- Book Title
- Cellular Automata
- Book Subtitle
- 11th International Conference on Cellular Automata for Research and Industry, ACRI 2014, Krakow, Poland, September 22-25, 2014. Proceedings
- pp 115-124
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing Switzerland
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 15. Dept. of Applied Computer Science, AGH University of Science and Technology
- 16. Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace
- 17. CSAI - Complex Systems and Artificial Intelligence Research Center, University of Milano-Bicocca
- Author Affiliations
- 18. Dipartimento Di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione, Università di Milano – Bicocca, Viale Sarca 336 – U14, I–20126, Milano, Italia
- 19. Dipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria, Via Pietro Bucci, Cubo 30B, 87036, Arcavacata di Rende (CS), Italy
- 20. CNRS, Univ. Nice Sophia Antipolis, I3S, UMR 7271, 06900, Sophia Antipolis, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.