Architecture and Performance Characteristics of a PostgreSQL Implementation of the TPC-E and TPC-V Workloads
- Andrew BondAffiliated withRed Hat, Inc.
- , Douglas JohnsonAffiliated withInfoSizing, Inc.
- , Greg KopczynskiAffiliated withVMware, Inc.
- , H. Reza TaheriAffiliated withVMware, Inc.
The TPC has been developing a publicly available, end-to-end benchmarking kit to run the new TPC-V benchmark, with the goal of measuring the performance of databases subjected to the variability and elasticity of load demands that are common in cloud environments. This kit is being developed completely from scratch in Java and C++ with PostgreSQL as the target database. Since the TPC-V workload is based on the mature TPC-E benchmark, the kit initially implements the TPC-E schema and transactions. In this paper, we will report on the status of the kit, describe the architectural details, and provide results from prototyping experiments at performance levels that are representative of enterprise-class databases. We are not aware of other PostgreSQL benchmarking results running at the levels we will describe in the paper. We will list the optimizations that were made to PostgreSQL parameters, to hardware/operating system/file system settings, and to the benchmarking code to maximize the performance of PostgreSQL, and saturate a large, 4-socket server.
KeywordsDatabase performance virtualization PostgreSQL cloud computing
- Architecture and Performance Characteristics of a PostgreSQL Implementation of the TPC-E and TPC-V Workloads
- Book Title
- Performance Characterization and Benchmarking
- Book Subtitle
- 5th TPC Technology Conference, TPCTC 2013, Trento, Italy, August 26, 2013, Revised Selected Papers
- pp 77-92
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing Switzerland
- Additional Links
- Database performance
- cloud computing
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Data Center Business Group, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- 17. Server Technologies, Oracle Corporation
- Author Affiliations
- 18. Red Hat, Inc., USA
- 19. InfoSizing, Inc., USA
- 20. VMware, Inc., USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.