Altmetrics and Other Novel Measures for Scientific Impact
- Martin FennerAffiliated withPublic Library of Science Email author
Impact assessment is one of the major drivers in scholarly communication, in particular since the number of available faculty positions and grants has far exceeded the number of applications. Peer review still plays a critical role in evaluating science, but citation-based bibliometric indicators are becoming increasingly important. This chapter looks at a novel set of indicators that can complement both citation analysis and peer review. Altmetrics use indicators gathered in the real-time Social Web to provide immediate feedback about scholarly works. We describe the most important altmetrics and provide a critical assessment of their value and limitations.
- Altmetrics and Other Novel Measures for Scientific Impact
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Book Title
- Opening Science
- Book Subtitle
- The Evolving Guide on How the Internet is Changing Research, Collaboration and Scholarly Publishing
- Book Part
- Part III
- pp 179-189
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- The Author(s)
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.