Parametric Study of Bicycle Stability (P207)
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Bicycles are inherently dynamically stable and this stability can be beneficial to handling qualities. A dynamical model can predict the self-stability. Previous models determined the sensitivity of stability to changes in parameters, but have often used idealized parameters occurring in the equations of motion that were not possible to realistically change independently. A mathematical model of a bicycle is developed and verified. The model is used together with a physical parameter generation algorithm to evaluate the dependence of four important actual design parameters on the self-stability of a bicycle.
- Åström K., Klein R. and Lennartsson A. Bicycle dynamics and control. In IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 25(4): 26–47, 2005. CrossRef
- Dempster W. Space requirements of the seated operator. In Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory WADC technical report 55:159, 1955.
- Franke G., Suhr P., and Rieb F. An advanced model of bicycle dynamics. In European Journal of Physics 11:116–121, 1990. CrossRef
- Kane T. and Levinson D. Dynamics: Theory and Applications. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1985.
- Klein R. Lose the Traing Wheels. www.losethetraimngwheels.org, 2008.
- Kooijman, J. Experimental validation of a model for the motion of an uncontrolled bicycle. M.Sc. thesis, Delft University of Technology, 2006.
- Limebeer D. and Sharp R. Bicycles, Motorcycles and Models. In IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 26(5): 34–61, 2006. CrossRef
- Meijaard J., Papadopoulos J., Ruina A. and Schwab A. Linearized dynamics equations for the balance and steer of a bicycle: a benchmark and review. Proc. Roy. Soc. A., 463(2084): 1955–1982, 2007. CrossRef
- Paterek T. The Paterek Manual for Bicycle Framebuilders, Henry lames Bicycles, Inc., Redondo Beach, CA, 2004.
- Peterson D. and Hubbard M. Analysis of the holonomic constraint in the Whipple bicycle model. In preparation for ISEA 2008.
- Psiaki M. Bicycle stability: A mathematical and numerical analysis. Undergraduate thesis, Princeton University, 1979.
- [W1]Ward L. Gyrobike: Preventing Scraped Knees. In Popular Mechanics, November 2006.
- Whipple F. The stability of the motion of a bicycle. In The Quarterly Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 30: 312–348, 1899.
- Parametric Study of Bicycle Stability (P207)
- Book Title
- The Engineering of Sport 7
- Book Subtitle
- Vol. 2
- pp 311-318
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Paris
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Paris
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.