Sickle Cell Disease
- … show all 0 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sickle cell disease is the most common single gene disorder in Afro Americans, affecting approximately one in 375 persons of African ancestry. The frequency of sickle cell trait is about 8% in the United States blacks. Sickle blood cells have an increased resistance to malaria. Protection from malaria helps maintain the high prevalence of the sickle gene in areas where malaria is endemic.
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Health supervision for children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics 109:526–535, 2002. CrossRef
- Bhardwaj U, Zhang YH, Jackson DS, et al.: DNA diagnosis confirms hemoglobin deletion in newborn screen follow-up. J Pediatr 142:346–348, 2003. CrossRef
- Bookchin RM, Lew VL: Pathophysiology of sickle cell anemia. Hematol Oncol Clin N Amer 10:1241–1253, 1996. CrossRef
- Burnett MW, Bass JW, Cook BA: Etiology of osteomyelitis complicating sickle cell disease. Pediatrics 101:296–297, 1998. CrossRef
- Chen H: Genetic testing and counseling for hemoglobinopathies. In Chen H (ed): Ohio Department of Health The Resource Manual for hemoglobinopathies. An Essential Guide for Health Professionals. 1992, pp 97–107.
- Distenfeld A, Woermann U: Sickle cell anemia. EMedicine. 2003. http://www.emedicine.com
- Dugdale M: Anemia. Obstet Gynecol Clin 28(2): June 2001.
- Eckman JR: Leg ulcers in sickle cell disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 10:1333–1344, 1996. CrossRef
- Fixler J, Styles L: Sickle cell disease. Pediatr Clin N Am 49:1193–1210, 2002. CrossRef
- Lane PA: Sickle cell disease. Pediatr Clin N Am 43:639–664, 1996. CrossRef
- Molitierno JA Jr, Carson CC III: Urologic manifestations of hematologic disease: sickle cell, leukemia, and thromboembolic disease. Urol Clin N Amer 30:49–61, 2003. CrossRef
- Pegelow C: Sickle cell anemia. eMedicine. 2003. http://www.emedicine.com
- Powers DR: Natural history of sickle cell disease: The first ten years. Semin Hematol 12:267, 1975.
- Powers DR, Johnson CS: Priapism. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 10:1363–1371, 1996. CrossRef
- Quinn CT, Buchanan GR: The acute chest syndrome of sickle cell disease. J Pediatr 135:416–422, 1999. CrossRef
- Rao SP, Miller ST, Cohen BJ: Transient aplastic crisis in patients with sickle cell disease: B19 parvovirus studies during a 7-year period. Arch J Dis Child 146:1328, 1992.
- Saborio P, Scheinman JI: Sickle cell nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 10:187–192, 1999.
- Sackey K: Hemolytic anemia: Part 2. Pediatr Rev 20:204–208, 1999. CrossRef
- Sadowitz PD, Amanullah S, Souid A-K: Hematologic emergencies in the pediatric emergency room. Emerg Med Clin North Am 20(1): Feb 2002.
- Smith JA: Bone disorders in sickle cell disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 10:1345–1356, 1996. CrossRef
- Sun PM, Wilburn W, Raynor Arch Dermatol, et al.: Sickle cell disease in pregnancy: twenty years of experience at Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:1127–1130, 2001. CrossRef
- Vichinsky EP: Comprehensive care in sickle cell disease: its impact on morbidity and mortality. Semin Hematol 28:220–226, 1991.
- Vichinsky EP: Hydroxyurea in children: present and future. Semin Hematol 34:22–29, 1997.
- Vichinsky E: New therapies in sickle cell disease. Lancet 360:629–631, 2002. CrossRef
- Vichinsky E, Hurst D, Earles A, et al.: Newborn screening for sickle cell disease: effect on mortality. Pediatrics 81:749–755, 1988.
- Vichinsky E, Schlis K: Sickle cell disease. Gene Reviews. 2003. http://www.genetests.org
- Walters MC, Storb R, Patience M, et al.: Impact of bone marrow transplantation for symptomatic sickle cell disease: an interim report. Multicenter investigation of bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell disease. Blood 95:1918–1924, 2000.
- Wethers DL: Sickle cell disease in childhood: Part I. Laboratory diagnosis, pathophysiology and health maintenance. Am Fam Physician 62:1013–1020, 1027–1028, 2000.
- Wethers DL: Sickle cell disease in childhood: Part II. Diagnosis and treatment of major complications and recent advances in treatment. Am Fam Physician 62:1309–1314, 2000.
- Zarkowsky HS, Gallagher D, gill FM, et al.: Bacteremia in sickle hemoglobinopathies. J Pediatr 109:579–585, 1986. CrossRef
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Book Title
- Atlas of Genetic Diagnosis and Counseling
- pp 892-898
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press Inc.
- Additional Links
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.