Introduction to Polysomnography
- Bashir A. Chaudhary MD,FCCP, FACP,FAASM
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A typical polysomnogram (Current Procedural Terminology code 95810) includes recording of an electroencephalography (EEG), an electro-oculogram (EOG), an electromyogram (EMG) of chin muscles, oronasal airflow, chest and abdominal movements, leg movements, snoring, and oximetry. Following is a discussion of some of the aspects of polysomnography.
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology: Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. (Rechtschaffen A, Kales A, eds.) UCLA Brain Information Service/ Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 1968.
- Carskadon MA, Rechtschaffen A (2000) Monitoring and staging of human sleep. In: Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. 3rd ed. (Kryger M, Roth T, Dement W, eds.) WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 1197–1215.
- Keenan SA (1999) Polysomnographic technique: an overview. In: Sleep Disorders Medicine: Basic Science, Technical Consideration, and Clinical Aspects. (Chokroverty S, ed.) 2nd ed. Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, MA, pp. 149–174.
- Tyner FS, Knott JR, Mayer WB Fundamentals of EEG Technology: volume 1. Basic Concepts and Methods. Raven Press, New York, NY, 1983.
- Jasper H (1958) The ten twenty electrode system of the International Federation. EEG Clin Neurophysiol 10:371–375.
- Radtke RA (1990) Sleep disorders. In: Current Practice of Clinical EEG. 2nd ed. (Daly DD, Pedly TA, eds.) Raven Press, New York, NY, pp. 561–592.
- Series F, Marc I(1999) Nasal pressure recording in the diagnosis of sleep apnoea hypopnea syn-drome. Thorax 54:506–510. CrossRef
- Whyte KF, Gugger M, Gould GA, et al. (1991) Accuracy of respiratory inductive plethysmography in measuring tidal volume during sleep. J Appl Physiol 71:1866–1871.
- Santamaria J, Chiappa KH (1987) The EEG of Drowsiness. Demos, New York, NY.
- Loube DI, Andrada TF (1999) Comparison of nocturnal respiratory parameters in upper airway resistance and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients. Chest 115:1217–1222. CrossRef
- Series F, Marc I (1995) Accuracy of breath-by-breath analysis of flow-volume loop in identifying sleep-induced flow limited breathing cycles in sleep apnoea-hypopnoea syndrome. Clin Sci 88:707–712.
- Berg S, Haight JSJ, Yap V, et al. (1997) Comparison of direct and indirect measurements of respira-tory airflow: implications for hypopneas. Sleep 20:60–64.
- Gaillard J-M, Blois R (1981) Spindle density in sleep of normal subjects. Sleep 4:385–391.
- Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measure-ment techniques in clinical research; The Report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. (1999) Sleep 22:667–689.
- Meoli AL, Casey KR, Clark RW, et al. (2001) Hypopnea in sleep-disordered breathing in adults. Sleep 24:469–470.
- EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples; a preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. (1992) Sleep 15:173–184.
- Recording and scoring leg movements: the Atlas Task Force. (1993) Sleep 16:748–759.
- Butkov N (1996) Atlas of Clinical Polysomnography vol 2. Synapse Media, OR, Ashland, pp. 286–301.
- Introduction to Polysomnography
- Book Title
- Primary Care Sleep Medicine
- Book Subtitle
- A Practical Guide
- pp 295-304
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Current Clinical Practice
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Family Practice, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- 2. Comprehensive Center for Sleep Medicine Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Sleep Institute of Augusta, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.