Control of Satellite Cell Proliferation
- Richard Bischoff
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Satellite cells are reserve stem cells of adult skeletal muscle and thus represent a potential source of myogenic cells to use in myoblast replacement therapy of neuromuscular disease. Optimal application of this strategy requires knowledge of factors that control the growth and differentiation of satellite cells. Control of satellite cell proliferation is a complex phenomenon determined by the contribution of both positive and negative factors (Fig. 1).
- Allen, R. E. and Boxhorn, L. K., 1989, Regulation of skeletal-muscle satellite cell-proliferation and differentiation by transforming growth factor-beta, insulin-like growth factor-I, and fibroblast growth-factor, J. Cell. Physiol., 138: 311. CrossRef
- Allen, R. E., Dodson, M. V., and Luiten, L. S., 1984, Regulation of skeletal muscle satellite cell proliferation by bovine pituitary fibroblast growth factor, Exp. Cell Res., 152:154. CrossRef
- Bischoff, R., 1986a, Proliferation of muscle satellite cells on intact myofibers in culture, Dev. Biol., 115:129. CrossRef
- Bischoff, R., 1986b, A satellite cell mitogen from crushed adult muscle, Dev. Biol, 115:140. CrossRef
- Bischoff, R., 1989a, Analysis of muscle regeneration using single myofibers in culture, Med. Sci. Sports Exer. (In Press).
- Bischoff, R., 1989b, Interaction between satellite cells and skeletal muscle fibers, Development (In Press).
- Clegg, C. H., Linkhart, T. A., Olwin, B. B., and Hauschka, S. D., 1987, Growth factor control of skeletal muscle differentiation: commitment to terminal differentiation occurs in G1 phase and is repressed by fibroblast growth factor, J. Cell Biol., 105: 949. CrossRef
- Darr, K. C. and Schultz, E., 1987, Exercise-induced satellite cell activation in growing and mature skeletal muscle, J. Appl. Physiol., 63: 1816.
- DiMario, J., Buffinger, N., Yamada, S., and Strohman, R. C., 1989, Fibroblast growth factor in the extracellular matrix of dystrophic ( MDX) mouse muscle, Science, 244: 688. CrossRef
- Florini, J. R. and Ewton, D. Z., 1988, Actions of transforming growth factor-beta on muscle cells, J. Cell. Physiol., 135: 301. CrossRef
- Giddings, C. J., Neaves, W. B., and Gonyea, W. J., 1985, Muscle fiber necrosis and regeneration induced by prolonged weight-lifting exercise in the cat, Anat. Rec., 211:133. CrossRef
- Gospodarowicz, D., Cheng, J., Lui, G.-M., Baird, A., and Bohlent, P., 1984, Isolation of brain fibroblast growth factor by heparin-Sepharose affinity chromatography: Identity with pituitary fibroblast growth factor, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 81: 6963. CrossRef
- Gospodarowicz, D., Weseman, J., and Moran, J., 1975, Presence in brain of a mitogenic agent promoting proliferation of myoblasts in low density culture, Nature, 256: 216. CrossRef
- Grounds, M. D. and McGeachie, J. K., 1987, A model of myogenesis in vivo, derived from detailed autoradiographic studies of regenerating skeletal muscle, challenges the concept of quantal mitosis, Cell Tissue Res., 250: 563.
- Irintchev, A. and Wernig, A., 1987, Muscle damage and repair in voluntarily running mice: strain and muscle differences, Cell Tissue Res., 249: 509. CrossRef
- Jodczyk, K. J., Bankowski, E., and Borys, A., 1986, Stimulatory effect of platelet-breakdown products on muscle regeneration, Zentralbl. Allg. Pathol., 131: 357.
- Kardami, E., Spector, D., and Strohman, R. C., 1985, Myogenic growth factor present in skeletal muscle is purified by heparin-affinity chromatography, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 82:8044. CrossRef
- McGeachie, J. and Allbrook, D., 1978, Cell proliferation in skeletal muscle following denervation or tenotomy. A series of autoradiographic studies, Cell Tissue Res., 193:259. CrossRef
- McGeachie, J. K. and Grounds, M. D., 1987, Initiation and duration of muscle precursor replication after mild and severe injury to skeletal muscle of mice. An autoradiographic study., Cell Tissue Res., 248:125. CrossRef
- Ross, J. J., Duxson, M. J., and Harris, A. J., 1987, Formation of primary and secondary myotubes in rat lumbrical muscles, Development, 100:383.
- Venkatasubramanian, K. and Solursh, M., 1984, Chemotactic behavior of myoblasts, Dev. Biol., 104:428. CrossRef
- Westall, F. C., Lennon, V. A., and Gospodarowicz, D., 1974, Brain-derived fibroblast growth factor: identity with a fragment of the basic protein of myelin, Proc. Natnl. Acad. Sci USA, 75: 4675 CrossRef
- Control of Satellite Cell Proliferation
- Book Title
- Myoblast Transfer Therapy
- Book Part
- Section 4
- pp 147-158
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.