Some Macdonald-Mehta Integrals by Brute Force
- Frank G. Garvan
- … show all 1 hide
Bombieri and Selberg showed how Mehta’s [6; p. 42] integral could be evaluated using Selberg’s  integral. Macdonald [5; §§5,6] conjectured two different generalizations of Mehta’s integral formula. The first generalization is in terms of finite Coxeter groups and depends on one parameter. The second generalization is in terms of root systems and the number of parameters in equal to the number of different root lengths. In the case of Weyl groups Macdonald showed how the first generalization follows from the second. We give a proof of the 13 case of the first generalization and the F4 case of the second generalization. As well we give a two parameter generalization for the dihedral group H2 2n. The parameters are constant on each of the two orbits. We note that the G 2 case of the second generalization follows from our two-parameter version for H6 2. Our proofs draw on ideas from AomotO’s  proof of Selberg’s integral and Zeilberger’s  proof of the G v 2 case of the Macdonald Morris [5; Conj. 3.3] constant term root system conjecture. The problem is reduced to solving a system of linear equations. These equations were generated and solved by the computer algebra package MAPLE.
- K. Aomoto, Jacobi polynomials associated with Seiberg’s integral, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 18 (1987), 545–549. CrossRef
- F.G. Garvan, A beta integral associated with the root system G 2, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 19 (1988) (to appear).
- F.G. Garvan, A proof of the Macdonald-Morris root system conjecture for F 4, submitted.
- L.C. Grove AND C.T. Benson, Finite Reflection Groups, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1985.
- I.G. Macdonald, Some conjectures for root systems and finite reflection groups, SIAM J. of Math. Anal., 13 (1982), 988–1007. CrossRef
- M.L. Mehta, Random Matrices, Academic Press, New York and London, 1967.
- A. Selberg, Bermerkninger om et multiplet integral, Norske Mat. Tidsskr, 26 (1944), 71–78.
- J.R. Stembridge, A short proof of Macdonald’s conjecture for the root system of type A, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 102 (1988), 777–786.
- E.C. Titchmarsh, The Theory of Functions, Oxford University Press, 1939.
- E.T. Whittaker AND G.N. Watson, A Course in Modern Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1927.
- D. Zeilberger, A unified approach to Macdonald’s root-system conjectures, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 19 (1988), (to appear).
- Some Macdonald-Mehta Integrals by Brute Force
- Book Title
- q-Series and Partitions
- pp 77-98
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- The IMA Volumes in Mathematics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.