Age-Related Changes in the Microcirculation of Skeletal Muscle
- H. Degens
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The age-related reduction in exercise capacity is associated with a reduction in cardiac output and maximal oxygen consumption (Vo2max). The loss of muscle mass explains a large portion of the age-related decline in Vo2max. The capillary supply to a muscle fibre is primarily determined by its size, but also by its metabolic profile and the metabolic profile of surrounding fibres. Thus the age-related fibre atrophy and changes in the fibre type composition are expected to be accompanied by changes in the capillarisation. The exchange of oxygen, blood-borne energy sources, metabolites and heat between the blood and muscle tissue takes place in the microcirculation. Changes in the microcirculation may thus affect the functioning and viability of the muscle. The resting blood flow is minimally affected by age, but blood flow during or following exercise is generally reduced. This may in part be due to a reduced vasodilatory capacity and a decreased capillarisation. However, the coupling between capillary supply to a fibre and its metabolic profile or the profile of the surrounding fibres is maintained. There are some changes in ultrastructure of the endothelium. The age-related changes in the microcirculation are associated with a reduced Vo2max and exercise capacity. The adaptability of the microcirculation is maintained at old age.
- Boreham, C.A.G., Watt, P.W., Williams, P.E., Merry, B.J., Goldspink, G., Goldspink, D.F., 1988, Effects of ageing and chronic dietary restriction on the morphology of fast and slow muscles of the rat. J. Anat. 157:111–125.
- Brown, M., 1987, Change in fibre size, not number, in ageing skeletal muscle. Age Ageing 16:244–248. CrossRef
- Brown, M., Ross, T.P., and Holloszy, J.O., 1992, Effects of ageing and exercise on soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles of female rats. Mech. Ageing Devel. 63:69–77. CrossRef
- Chilibeck, P.D., Paterson, D.H., Cunningham, D.A., Taylor, A.W., and Noble, E.G., 1997, Muscle capillarization, O2 diffusion distance, and Vo2 kinetics in old and young individuals. J. Appl. Physiol. 82:63–69.
- Coggan, A.R., Spina, R.J., King, D.S., Rogers, M.A., Brown, M., Nemeth, P.M., and Holloszy, J.O., 1992, Histochemical and enzymatic comparison of the gastrocnemius muscle of young and elderly men and women. J. Geront. 47:B71–B76. CrossRef
- Coggan, A.R., Spina, R.J., Rogers, M.A., King, D.S., Brown, M., Nemeth, P.M., and Holloszy, J.O., 1990, Histochemical and enzymatic characteristics of skeletal muscle in master athletes. J. Appl. Physiol. 68:1896–1901. CrossRef
- Cook, J.J., Wailgum, T.D., Vasthare, U.S., Mayrovitz, H.N., and Tuma, R.F., 1992, Age-related alterations in the arterial microvasculature of skeletal muscle. J. Geront. 47:B83–B88. CrossRef
- Degens, H., Turek, Z., L.J.C. Hoofd, and Binkhorst, R.A., 1994, Capillary proliferation related to fibre types in hypertrophied aging rat m. plantaris. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 345:669–676. CrossRef
- Degens, H., Turek, Z., Hoofd, L.J.C., Van’t Hof, M.A., and Binkhorst, R.A., 1992, The relationship between capillarization and fibre types during compensatory hypertrophy of the plantaris muscle in rat. J. Anat. 180:455–463.
- Degens, H., Turek, Z., Hoofd, L.J.C, Van’t Hof, M.A., and Binkhorst, R.A., 1993a, Capillarisation and fibre types in hypertrophied m. plantaris in rats of various ages. Resp. Physiol. 94:217–226. CrossRef
- Degens, H., Veerkamp, J.H., Van Moerkerk, H.T.B., Turek, Z., Hoofd, L.J.C., and Binkhorst, R.A., 1993b, Metabolic capacity, fibre type area and capillarization of rat plantaris muscle. Effects of age, overload and training and relationship with fatigue resistance. Int. J. Biochem. 25:1141–1148. CrossRef
- Denis, C, Chatard, J-C, Dormois, D., Linoissier, M-T., Geyssant, A., and Lacour, J-R., 1986, Effects of endurance training on capillary supply of human skeletal muscle on two age groups (20 and 60 years). J. Physiol. (Paris) 81:379–383.
- Fleg, J.L., and Lakatta, E.G., 1988, Role of muscle loss in the age-associated reduction in Vo2max. J. Appl. Physiol. 65:1147–1151.
- Freyssenet, D., Berthon, P., Denis, C., Barthelemy J.-C., Guezennec, C.-Y., and Chatard, J.-C., 1996, Effect of a 6-week endurance training programme and branched-chain amino acid supplementation on histomorphic characteristics of aged human muscle. Arch. Physiol Biochem. 104:157–162. CrossRef
- Grimby, G., Danneskiold-Samsøe, B., Hvid, K., and Saltin, B., 1982, Morphology and enzymatic capacity in arm and leg muscles in 78–81 year old men and women. Acta Physiol. Scand. 115:125–134. CrossRef
- Haidet, G.C., and Parsons, D., 1991, Reduced exercise capacity in senescent beagles: an evaluation of the periphery. Am. J. Physiol. 260:H173–H182.
- Hepple, R.T., Mackinnon, S.L.M., Goodman, J.M., Thomas, S.G., and Plyley, M.J., 1997, Resistance and aerobic training in older men: effects on Vo2pcak and the capillary supply to skeletal muscle. J. Appl. Physiol. 82:1305–1310. CrossRef
- Ho, C.W., Berad, J.L., Farrell, P.A., Minson, C.T., and Kenney, W.L., 1997, Age, fitness, and regional blood flow during exercise in the heat. J. Appl. Physiol. 82:1126–1135.
- Irion, G.L., Vasthare, U.S., and Tuma, R.F., 1987, Age-related changes in skeletal muscle blood flow in the rat. J. Geront. 42:660–665. CrossRef
- Irion, G.L., Vasthare, U.S., and Tuma, R.F., 1988, Preservation of skeletal muscle hyperemic response to contraction with aging in female rats. Exp. Geront. 23:183–188. CrossRef
- Jakobsson, F., Borg, K., and Edström, L., 1990, Fibre-type composition, structure and cytoskeletal protein location of fibres in anterior tibial muscle: Comparison between young adults and physically active aged humans. Acta Neuropathol. 80:459–468. CrossRef
- Korkusko, O.V., Sarkisov, K.G., and Frajfel’d, V.E., 1982, Die Alternsbesonderheiten des Systems der Mikrozirku-lation in den Skelettmuskeln und ihre Rolle in der Arbeitsfähigkeit des Muskies beim Altern des Menschen. Z. Alternforsch. 37:S147–S153.
- Larsson, L. and Ansved, T., 1995, Effects of ageing on the motor unit. Progr. Neurobiol.45:397–458. CrossRef
- Martin, W.H., Ogawa, T., Kohrt, W.M., Malley, M.T., Korte, E., Kieffer, P.S., and Schechtman, K.B., 1991, Effects of aging, gender, and physical training on peripheral vascular function. Circ. 84:654–664. CrossRef
- McCully, K.K., and Posner, J.D., 1995, The application of blood flow measurements to the study of aging muscle. J. Geront. 50A: 130–136. CrossRef
- Mitchell, M.L., Byrnes, W.C., and Mazzeo, R.S., 1990, A comparison of skeletal muscle morphology with training between young and old Fischer 344 rats. Mech. Ageing Devel. 58:21–35. CrossRef
- Pařízková, J., Eiselt, E., Šprynarová, Š., and Wachtlová, M., 1971, Body composition, aerobic capacity, and density of muscle capillaries in young and old men. J. Appl. Physiol. 31:323–325.
- Proctor, D.N., and Joyner, M.J., 1997, Skeletal muscle mass and the reduction of Vo2max in trained older subjects. J. Appl Physiol. 82:1411–1415.
- Proctor, D.N., Sinning, W.E., Walro, J.M., Sieck, G.C., and Lemon, P.W.R., 1995, Oxidative capacity of human muscle fiber types: effects of age and training status. J. Appl Physiol. 78:2033–2038.
- Sobin, S.S., Bernick, S., and Ballard, K.W., 1992, Histochemical characterization of the aging microvasculature in the human and other mammalian and non-mammalian vertebrates by the periodic acid-schiff reaction. Mech. Ageing Devel. 63:183–192. CrossRef
- Stablein, M., and Meyer, J., 1988, Age-related changes in capillaries of rat oral mucosa. A quantitative electron microscopic study. Mech. Ageing Devel. 45:23–40. CrossRef
- Suzuki, J., Gao, M., Batra, S., and Koyama, T., 1997, Effects of treadmill training on the arteriolar and venular protions of capillary in soleus muscle of young and middle-aged rats. Acta Physiol Scand. 159:113–121. CrossRef
- Turek, Z., Rakusan, K., Olders, J., Hoofd, L., and Kreuzer, F., 1991, Computed myocardial PO2 histograms: effects of various geometrical and functional conditions. J. Appl. Physiol. 70:1845–1853.
- Tyml, K., Mathieu-Costello, O., and Budreau, C.H., 1992, Distribution of red blood cell velocity in capillary network, and endothelial ultrastructure, in aged rat skeletal muscle. Microvasc. Res. 44:1–13. CrossRef
- Williamson, J.R., Hoffmann, P.L., Kohrt, W.M., Spina, R.J., Coggan, A.R., and Holloszy, J.O., 1996, Endurance exercise training decreases capillary basement membrane width in older nondiabetic and diabetic adults. J. Appl. Physiol. 80:747–753. CrossRef
- Age-Related Changes in the Microcirculation of Skeletal Muscle
- Book Title
- Oxygen Transport to Tissue XX
- pp 343-348
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.