Setting Some Terms for Historical Archaeologies of Capitalism
- Mark P. Leone
- … show all 1 hide
The essays in this book are adapted from presentations delivered in 1993 at a School of American Research Advanced Seminar in Santa Fe, New Mexico. This seminar was organized to explore the use of historical archaeology as a means for understanding the origins, development, and modern condition of capitalism. Historical archaeology is cross-disciplinary by nature and the seminar participants who have contributed were drawn from the fields of anthropology, American studies, cultural-resource management, history, and philosophy. We, the authors, are interested in finding ways to use historical archaeology to study processes relevant to the dominant Western economy of recent history.
- Appadurai, Arjun 1986 Introduction: Commodities and the Politics of Value. In The Social Life of Things: Commodities in Cultural Perspective, edited by Arjun Appadurai, pp. 3–63. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Harvey, David 1989 The Condition of Postmodernity: An Enquiry into the Origins of Cultural Change. Basil Blackwell, Oxford.
- Jameson, Fredric 1991 Postmodernism or, the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Duke University Press, Durham.
- Habermas, J—rgen 1984 The Theory of Communicative Action. Vol. 1, Reason and the Rationalization of Society. Beacon Press, Boston.
- Kemp, Ray 1988 Planning, Public Hearings, and the Politics of Discourse. In Critical Theory and Public Life, edited by John Forester, pp. 177–201. MIT Press, Cambridge.
- Lorde, Audre 1984 Sister Outsider. Crossing Press, Freedom, California.
- Marx, Karl 1967 Capital: A Critique of Political Economy, Volume I The Process of Capitalist Production [English edition of 1887, edited by Frederick Engels]. International Publishers, New York.
- Marx, Karl 1973 Grundrisse: Foundations of the Critique of Political Economy  (translated by Martin Nicolaus). Vintage Books, New York.
- Miller, Daniel 1987 Material Culture and Mass Consumption. Basil Blackwell, Oxford.
- Miller, Daniel 1990 Fashion and Ontology in Trinidad. Culture and History 7:49–77.
- Mitchell, W.J. 1987 Iconology: Image, Text, and Ideology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Tiersten, Lisa 1993 Redefining Consumer Culture: Recent Literature on Consumption and the Bourgeoisie in Western Europe. Radical History Review 57:116–159.
- Yee, Mary 1993 Finding the Way Home Through Issues of Gender, Race and Class. In Returning the Gaze, edited by Himani Bannerji. pp 3–37. Sister Vision Press, Toronto, Ontario.
- Setting Some Terms for Historical Archaeologies of Capitalism
- Book Title
- Historical Archaeologies of Capitalism
- Book Part
- pp 3-20
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Contributions To Global Historical Archaeology
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.