Girls’ Violence: Criminality or Resilience?
- Jean HineAffiliated withDe Montfort University Email author
- , Joanna WelfordAffiliated withDe Montfort University
This chapter examines girls’ violence and considers whether it is a risk factor or part of a strategy by some youth to sustain resilience. The authors show that violent behaviour by girls is “doubly condemned” as violence and an unfeminine expression of identity. Using narratives from girls themselves, the authors show that within gendered spaces that marginalise young women, violence can sometimes be a rational response that helps girls cope when there are limited choices.
- Girls’ Violence: Criminality or Resilience?
- Book Title
- The Social Ecology of Resilience
- Book Subtitle
- A Handbook of Theory and Practice
- pp 157-169
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.